How to monitor each rv spots electric usage

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tina_M, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Tina_M

Tina_M
    Expand Collapse

I am the owner of a very small 14 spot rv park. Is there a plug n play device that measures each spots electrical consumption if 1/2 the park is on 1 meter and 1/2 the park on the other meter? People who are renting rv spots permanently but only come on weekends are leaving their air conditioning running full blast when they leave to go home. The electricity bills are eating me up and I am going to have to monitor their consumption to start charging them.

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We have only been in one winter stay rv park that all electric was included, monthly or daily, didn't matter. All others have meters, I pay for what i use. I would say your going to either have to invest in meters at each post for those yearly sites, or change and add a plug to a 110 outlet of those that leave and only return for the weekends. Then they can replug into the 50 or 30 amp plug. In the rv motorhome storage place near me they have 2 plugs, the 50 amp that you pay for or the 110 plug they allow you to use for free. They check and if your in the wrong plug they disconnect.

3. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

There are aftermarket meters that will mount to your pedestals. Be aware of all the hurdles you are going to face should you start charging for metered electricity.
    First, you are going to have to meet all the state regulations. Most states don’t allow you to mark up the rate you are charged. Some do allow a meter reading fee. If you have a service that uses time of use billing the problems to staying compliant are geometrically higher. Also, do these renters have a lease? You likely can’t modify the terms if that’s the case.
    Then you will have to collect . Some renters are going to fight the readings and rates. Others are going to bow up to the concept because they currently are getting the power included. Still others are going to demand a reduction to their current rent since electricity is no longer included.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with the public. It’s the reason we sold our parks .