Power post shut off

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by weighit, Sep 8, 2024.

1. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Just returned from another trip staying at a total of 9 rv parks. In all except one as I was about to plug my power cord into the post, the 50 amp breaker was on. I always shut it off before disconnecting, and inspect before plugging to ensure it is off. I guess many don't do this and wonder if it is a problem or not? ideas....

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I always ensure all the breakers are in the off position. Then I connect the ems, turn on the breaker, if ems shows power is good, then I shut breaker of again, then connect power cord to camper and turn breaker on. Then pop a cold one. ;)

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

With the breaker off, there's no risk of the contacts arcing when you plug into the socket. With 50 amp service, there's also a potential for the two hot lines to make contact before the neutral makes contact which could cause an over or under voltage condition at any live 120 volt appliances such as a tv, microwave, converter, residential refrigerator, or air conditioner.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

My procedure pretty much follows what paythebill does. Main thing is make sure that the power at the pole is fully off before proceeding to hook up. The day we bought our motorhome I purchased a top of the line surge protector that we use every time we hook up. It has saved us several times over the years..Safe and happy travels........

BankShot...(akaTerry)

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

it's hit or miss if the breaker is turned off when you get there. like others said, it should be off when plugging in to avoid arcing.
    Thanks for doing your part to turn it off when you leave. I put people who dont turn off the breaker right there with people who didnt rewind VHS tapes back we rented those things.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yup I like to have the breaker shut off first before plugging in and shutting off the breaker first before disconnecting.

Mike

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  7. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

rewind VHS? I even rewind DVD.:rolleyes:

mdcamping and Fitzjohnfan like this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Good point Mike, I think most of us do that but there may be a few that don't don't remember that first step when unhooking...:rolleyes:

Terry..(aka BankShot)

mdcamping likes this.
  9. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Looks like I have not been in any of the sites you guys have been in, Big Grin. I just found it odd that so many were still switched on. I don't look at the 30 amp plug but it probably was going to fall into the same numbers I found on the 50 amp.

mdcamping likes this.
  10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

At a number of the state parks we favor, I've always been happy to see the staff check the breakers when cleaning the vacant sites. A few years ago when we pulled in to register at one NY state park a bit early, the check in clerk told us our site hadn't been cleaned yet due to a staff shortage. She said we could go to our site, but please let them know if any work needed to be done. She also said to be sure the breakers were off before we plugged in. As I recall,they were off and the site was clean, so I'm thinking the previous guest was one of the good RV'ers.

mdcamping likes this.
  11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Assateague State park in MD has 1 heavily used 30 amp only electric loop. On one of the past times setting up our site I noticed my 30 amp plug on the pole was partly melted. The good news office was great about it getting the plug replaced as I'm guessing it was under 2 hrs.

I did find it annoying that someone would leave the plug like that without reporting it...

Mike

weighit and NYDutch like this.