Prices driving the cost or RV campgrounds

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by g and p, Sep 11, 2024.

1. g and p

g and p
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I have be RVing for 40 years.. Been to every state, some lots of times. Been to Alaska. We are planning a Thanksgiving trip. Going to Petaluma California from Green Valley Arizona. The two campgrounds that stick out, one in Pomona California, near puddingstone lake, and one in Morro Bay.. Here is the break down of pricing.
    The first one in Morro Bay.Staying seven nights. Base Price 75.00. Pet fee $2.00 per night. Booking fee $2.00 Credit Card Fee $2.62. Electricity surcharge.. $35.00 TOT Tax which is a tourist tax 12.5% $57.86 Tourism Marking Fee $8.68 dollars.. Total fees That's @128.00 in fees for 7 nights..

The one in Pomona California Base Price per night.. $88.00 Site Lock Fee @10.00.. Pet Fee $2.00 per night
    Online booking fee $2.00. TOT tax $141.84...

We are not poor, but nor do we want to waste money.. We try to find Core Of Engineers Parks. State Campgrounds. We look for all types.. We have had a wonderful time RVing across this great country.. We can afford to pay these out of control fees. But we are not going too. After this upcoming trip. Time to Sell the Cedar Creek Fifth wheel.. It has been a good run.. Thanks

weighit and Paythebill like this.
  2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I won't argue with you that those are high prices for campgrounds, but before you throw in the RV towel, maybe ask yourself, how much would staying in a hotel cost to stay in the same areas? keep in mind that you would have to eat out for every meal which is generally much more expensive than eating "at home" in your RV.

then consider the intangibles, like sleeping in your own bed (avoiding bedbugs), using your own facilities, and not having to live out of a suitcase.

RVing is not for everyone,and can be a very personal choice, but one i will alway stick with because it suits our family.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

For the 13 years we fulltimed and continuing as we now part time, we only rarely stayed at private parks for enroute overnights. All other typically two week stays have been in state or national parks at rates well below the private park rates. As an example, for the two weeks around the 4th of July, we stayed at Gilbert Lake State Park in NY on a large 50 amp site with water for just $24 per night with no other fees except the $7.25 Reserve America fee. It was health not costs that took us off the fulltime road.

On edit: My wife reminded me that we also spent up to a month each winter some years at the Escapees Bushnell, FL park, with rates for full hookup sites comparable to state park rates.

#3 NYDutch, Sep 12, 2024 at 5:09 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2024 at 5:16 AM
    Snaildriver likes this.