New KOA Cancellation Policy

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by leaf peeper, Sep 11, 2024.

1. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I received this email from KOA:

Understand KOAs new cancellation policy going into effect Oct 1 is one week notice (rather then two days) or zero refund and a $20.00 fee if cancellation in done prior to one week

So be aware of that if you reserve, then cancel your KOA reservations.

Paythebill likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just ran across this post. Don't mean to "go off" on this but this kind of stuff is really irritating. We've stayed at a few KOAa over the years and to read their new "policy" ruffles my old feathers a tad. Hopefully they will take into consideration those who are on the way and have a breakdown on the road and call to say they can't be there that day, or suffer a last minute illness or some other experience beyond and out of their control, etc. Hopefully that will be taken into consideration? But if this is a "blanket" policy with no exceptions to the rule, then we will do our best not to stay at KOAs unless it's just a drive in off the road for a one nighter hoping they have availability. Nuf said about this, time for my second morning cup....:mad:...:D

BankShot......(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Once you start making exceptions you will find everyone will suddenly meet that exception. We were amazed at the number of close relatives who die the day before arrival. And deaths spiked when we were expecting less than ideal weather.
    In all seriousness why should someone’s personal issues become a financial hardship for the RV park? They have kept a site open for you. The fact you can’t, or don’t want to, avail yourself of it is not the park’s responsibility.

weighit likes this.
  4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I think the same way as if I make a reservation, they are holding that site for me. Should something that prevents me from getting there, it is my loss. If they say no problem then good for me, but if they say too bad, it was something I understood making them hold a site for me. If I was a gambler and just wanted to wing it every day hoping for a site, that is an option too, People do take advantage of rv parks rules and I see exactly why they (KOA) changed the policy.

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i know it will never happen, but with all the computerized reservation systems, a customer, and a park should be able to collect a deposit for a site, and if there is a cancilation, no refund, unless the site gets re-rented. if another customer rents the site, then the previous cistomer should get a full refund.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

7. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Such a policy would be a disincentive to the park to re-rent that site. They wouldn’t get additional rent, but would incur two additional credit card fees. One for processing the new renters payment and one for your refund. Plus, if they didn’t re-rent the site they would have your site rental fee and not have any electrical usage, no water usage, no one from that site using the restrooms and showers and no one from that site adding to the trash. The site wouldn’t have to be cleaned at the end of the non existent stay. And if no one is in the paid for site, there will be no possibility of any issues arising from a dog, a quiet hour violation, speeding or any other rule violation. Fact is, a paid for site that goes unoccupied is better than refunding that site fee and then re- renting it for the same amount of money.
    Bottom line is if you want the convenience and assurance of a reserved site you need to be OK with the cancellation policy attached to that reservation.