5th Wheel Back Up Camera

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mastercraft, Dec 2, 2007.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone installed a back up camera on their 5th wheel? A friend who pulls a trailer behind their 5th wheel is looking at a couple and I thought I would post on here.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

My previous rig was a 5W and I put a color wireless backup camera system on it. It was a do-it-yourself project.

It was a DC system so tapping into the rig or tow vehicle 12v power source was not difficult. I originally considered putting it on the top rear of the RV and getting power from a running light. But since my rig had a rear living room with bay window, I mounted it inside to negate the need for weather proofing the camera.

There are a couple of things to consider with a wireless system. If it's an inside mount, the transmitted signal distance needs to be at least 300 open feet, but the more the better. The signal will have to penetrate any solid structures on it's way to the cab of the tow vehicle. Also mount the camera so that the signal transmits thru the least number of obstacles. A 5" viewing screen will be sufficient, but suggest that it be a flat panel one. That will be easier to mount somewhere around or on the dash.

I have a friend who mounted a weather proof wired system on his travel trailer. He ran the cable under the rig, up to the front hitch area, and then connected to the truck via another seperate cable. That works well for him, because he doesn't have a rear window.

3. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

RLM,
    What type of system did you mount and what type did your friend mount? Also what was the estimated cost of both systems. My friend is pretty handy so it will definitely be a do it yourself project.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Dec 2 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]9325[/snapback]

RLM,
    What type of system did you mount and what type did your friend mount? Also what was the estimated cost of both systems. My friend is pretty handy so it will definitely be a do it yourself project.

mastercraft> I still have that system in a box at home, unfortunately I am on the road for the next couple months and don't have access to it in order to give you the details. My friend paid about $550 for his B&W wired system 4 years ago. My wireless system was mounted on a 5W that I previously owned three years ago. (I now drive a motorhome). That system cost me about $200, but at the time, I was a dealer in RV electronics and got wholesale prices. However, I have recently seen prices for wireless B&W systems for as little as $99. Color or B&W doesn't make much difference in camera prices, but if you go with color then I feel confident that the most expensive part of the system will be a nice 5 inch color flat screen monitor.

I'd suggest that you do an online search for companies that sell wireless cameras and monitors. A few things to look for: 1- Longest transmission range possible. 2- 12V system 3- transmitter and camera combined in one package 4- monitor and with built in receiver. If that is to costly for him, then find a receiver to go with the monitor that is small. 5- The higher the frequency the better. The cheaper systems will transmit on 2.4 ghz, but the better ones that will best penetrate obstacles will have a higher frequency.

Once the system is selected, this is truly a DIY project. It only takes knowing how to hook up a red and white wire to the proper 12V source.

'