A couple of suggestions

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Big Ben, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I Have noticed that some of us , when writing reviews are putting down the discounted price for the campgrounds. For instance Pass Port America get it for 1/2 price that is what you are showing for the cost. If folks don't belong to one of the discount clubs they will be surprised. I would suggest that the forms be changed to show what clubs are excepted. I would think this would be very helpfull. :rolleyes:

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Big Ben,

I always write up this information in the comments. Yes, people would be unhappy to see rates are more that you put down in price box. The same for Golden Age Cards as well or any 1/2 price sells like buy one get one free deals. We also use Pass Port and I add notes in comments to cover this. People need to take the time to write up all information in a park not comments like "I did not like my site".

3. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

I'm filing all the suggesions in my list, and will address each one at some point. I do agree with the pricing issues related to discount cards, and will try to address this when I add the additional fields I mentioned a few months ago to the review forms. (zip,long/lat, fire rings, phone number, discounts accepted,rv park email address) are all in the works as well as the ability to post review pictures. I'd really also like to add a section for each city where reviewers can share list of good things to do/see in the areas, and good places to eat. There's just alot of programming / testing for review submissions and approvals that goes into every little change...if I just had a magic programming wand!

The big issue I'm working on right now is related to the state pages are getting too big. I'm planning to split the cities off into pages of their own. I've had users say that they can't see all the cities on larger states like California because of limits by there providers / browsers. (WebTV for one.) I figure you guys connecting via modem rather than broadband have some pretty long waits for the larger states as well.

Thanks for submitting this request, and please keep them coming. If there is anything else anyone would like added to the site, please post it. It's much easier to add everything at one time, than one new feature here and there.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Spell check please!

5. abn

abn
    Expand Collapse

SUGGESTION to the Webmaster

Instead of trying to create individual pages for each city, which would be a huge piece of work for you, you might want to break the state into regions. The bigger the state, the more regions. Should get you the performance enhancement you are looking for.

Food for thought

Keep up the good work!!

6. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

I've already done most of the work for splitting the states into cities, it's really harder to split them into regions right now. I really need more data on the cities or campgrounds ( zip or long/lat ) to make it easy to do regions. If anyone wants to see what the new pages would look like, they are all out there right now using the current data, you just have to stick -test into the name of the state file.

For example to see the new version of California, change California.html to California-test.html

Or just click on California Test Page to go there now. The test pages won't be updated as regularly as the real pages until they become the real pages. I still have alot of work to do on the update process itself before taking the new format live.

Please check them out an let me know what you think!

7. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Very nice. I can see how people with dial up internet will benefit from this change.
    I think regions is a good idea too.

8. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Apr 26 2005, 12:51 AM)
    I Have noticed that some of us , when writing reviews are putting down the discounted price for the campgrounds. For instance Pass Port America get it for 1/2 price that is what you are showing for the cost. If folks don't belong to one of the discount clubs they will be surprised. I would suggest that the forms be changed to show what clubs are excepted. I would think this would be very helpfull. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. And, it might also be helpful to say what type of camping rig you had for the price. I know most, but not all, people at the end of a review will say they camped on such a date in such and such an RV/tent, etc, but not all people do it that way. So, I think it would be helpful that where the price is indicated that maybe in parentheses the person could put like (FH) for full hook-ups or (T) for tent, etc...that would definitely make it easier!

9. tundracamper

tundracamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ May 1 2005, 12:51 PM)
    I've already done most of the work for splitting the states into cities, it's really harder to split them into regions right now. I really need more data on the cities or campgrounds ( zip or long/lat ) to make it easy to do regions. If anyone wants to see what the new pages would look like, they are all out there right now using the current data, you just have to stick -test into the name of the state file.

I think removing the cities list to a separate page would definitely be useful, particularly for dial-up users. However, I have noticed that some campgrounds, although listed by the correct park name, are not necessarily listed under the city that I expect them to be under. Some parks are quite a distance from towns shown on the map. Therefore, the ability to SEARCH AN ENTIRE STATE BY PARK NAME WOULD BE VERY HELFPUL so that one doesn't have to go hunting for the park if they know it by name but don't know the exact city that someone else listed it under. If you have to repeat a search on several pages, it will be very cumbersome. This would not be so much of a problem if the map picture would indicate the towns that have parks listed. When the map is generic, that doesn't work so well.

Superb site! Keep up the good work.

10. philhoey

philhoey
    Expand Collapse

Webmaster - nice on the new pages.

Phil