"A Signifcant Other's Brilliant Idea"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Jul 1, 2017.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In the past few years we have gone thru a few sets of wiper blades on the coach and at 32" long they ain't exactly cheap to replace every year or so. This morning while uncovering the blades from the wrapped white towels I had around them to keep the ultraviolet rays from destroying them, my extremely significant other came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea. I had just finished using a piece of foam rubber tubing to wrap a small water pipe. It has a 1/2" hole down the center with a split down the length so you can open it up and slide it over the pipe. She asked why couldn't I just use some of that and stick the blade into the end of the crack and the slide and/or work the tubing on and over the wiper blade to cover it. Long story short, I tried it with a short left over piece and it worked so I went to the local hardware store and bought a 6 foot piece, measured it for the blade, cut it, and slid it on. It covers the entire rubber blade itself and also flexes so it bends with the blade up against the windshield. I was just about ready to go buy a set of wiper blade at CW for around $30 or so and this piece of foam rubber tubing set me back a whopping $1.49. And it doesn't look too shabby either. I can leave them on at all times during the summer months as they won't blow off while driving down the road as they fit on really nice and snug. I thought I'd pass this on to everyone as it sure seems like a quick and easy fix to keep the wiper blade rubber from rotting in the sun....................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

GaTripsters and Wildfire like this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, been doing exactly that for years to protect my wiper blades. I saw it done on a number of rigs in the first park we went to with our first Class A. Some use slit pool noodles instead of the pipe insulation. Very colorful... :D

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why I didn't think of this two wiper blades ago but I'll sure keep them on and just replace the foam when it becomes worn or starts to break apart, etc. Just goes to show that you can always learn something new even tho it may not be new to others. Hopefully this post will help a few others if they read it................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Wildfire likes this.
  4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Look for a spring close out on packages of the pipe insulation at hardware stores, etc. I'm still using up the package of six 40" lengths I bought a couple of years ago for a buck.

5. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Great idea. I am going to try it
    momdoc