Adding A Bike Rack To The Bumper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by edcornflake, May 11, 2011.

1. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

Currently, I have a ladder mounted rack that fits the 2 adult bikes we bring. My son's bike fits in one of the underneath storage compartments, and my daughter's goes in the bed of the truck. I don't love the ladder mount and would like to add a 4 bike rack to the bumper. I've got a 2011 Cougar High Country (by Keystone) 5er. It's an ultra light, and they don't recommend more than 150 lbs on a factory installed bike rack - and they don't' recommend installing aftermarket at all. I can understand that - they don't want to deal with someone else's bad engineering, but my question is: Can my bumper handle a 4 bike bike rack with essentially 3 adult bikes (daughter's next bike is a full size) and 1 kid bike (eventually 4 adult bikes)? Is the 150 a guideline, or a hard/fast limit?

I look forward to the wisdom of my fellow RVers on this... Thanks!

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(edcornflake @ May 11 2011, 08:14 AM) [snapback]26062[/snapback]

Currently, I have a ladder mounted rack that fits the 2 adult bikes we bring. My son's bike fits in one of the underneath storage compartments, and my daughter's goes in the bed of the truck. I don't love the ladder mount and would like to add a 4 bike rack to the bumper. I've got a 2011 Cougar High Country (by Keystone) 5er. It's an ultra light, and they don't recommend more than 150 lbs on a factory installed bike rack - and they don't' recommend installing aftermarket at all. I can understand that - they don't want to deal with someone else's bad engineering, but my question is: Can my bumper handle a 4 bike bike rack with essentially 3 adult bikes (daughter's next bike is a full size) and 1 kid bike (eventually 4 adult bikes)? Is the 150 a guideline, or a hard/fast limit?

I look forward to the wisdom of my fellow RVers on this... Thanks!

My brother has a 23 foot 5er and his bumper got a crack and bent after installing a 2 bike rack. He had to get a welder to reinforce the bumper. So Cougar may have good cause to warn about the 150 lbs limit.

3. rollinghills

rollinghills
    Expand Collapse

You might look into a reciever hitch on the 5er. I've seen them on some rigs before.

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

Rollinghills suggestion is probably the best route. I don't know how much it would cost to install.
    I have seen bike racks mounted on the pin box. I never got close enough to see how it was done. I think it is a homemade thing, cause I don't see them in any of the camping books. I don't know how many bikes they will hold either.
    Wow, I was a big help, huh.

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse