Adding cushioning

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by catskillbob, Dec 13, 2023.

1. catskillbob

catskillbob
    Expand Collapse

Hi, all. Looking for advice on the best way to add some additional cushioning to RV dinette cushions. When used as a bed they have become incapable of providing enough thickness to prevent "bottoming out". I'm considering egg-crate pads, pillow tops, gel pads and just plain foam rubber. Any experience? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
    Bob

2. Grizzly Valley Bear

Grizzly Valley Bear
    Expand Collapse

We bought a queen size 1.5 inch memory foam topper. It has turned our bed from a medieval torture device into a really comfortable place to sleep.
    For the cushions I would buy a 1” foam mattress, cut it to size and insert in the cushions or buy a 3” or what ever thickness you require memory foam mattress and replace all the stuffing in the cushions with it if they are done. Just cut down to size.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Two times in our years of owning various rv's we have had to repair/rebuild cushions. One time because the cushions had zippers I was able remove the foam and go to a Foam store and have them cut new more ridgid foam to fit. The last time went to the local auto trim shop and had them cut the seams, replace the foam and then resew the seam. In both cases made the seating back to the new feel and look. Really not that expensive and sure inproved our camping time.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Went and looked and when we did the foam ourselves spent just under $30 and when we paid the fellow to cut the seams, install the foam and resew 3 couch cushions we spent $85. Just to give you an idea on what it might cost.

5. catskillbob

catskillbob
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestions!