Advice Needed On Satellite

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by freelander, Nov 13, 2008.

1. freelander

freelander
    Expand Collapse

Hi All
    I am looking to get a weingard in motin satellite . I have contacted Camping World who Quoted about $3,000. for system and intallation at3 sites.. I live in NJ.. I saw the satellite for $1100 but was quoted $1700 the rest is service and little items like shop towels and wire.. :unsure: what is going on? I have only owned my RV 4 months so I am lost when it comes to this. any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Chris,

3 grand buys a whole passel of DVD's. And there are no commercials. Red box rentals are even cheaper than purchasing movies. Many campgrounds do have cable TV as well.

Be aware that weather conditions such as rain can cause the dish to loose the signal. Campgrounds with trees may also prevent connection to the satellite.

Be sure to look at all the in motion satellite equipment, not just Weingard.

There are even some high end "flat panel" receivers that do their pointing "electronically" rather than mechanically.

3. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

You get what you pay for. I have paid for the movin view dome and happy I did. I also paid for the moto sat satellite internet system and happy I did. I am by no means rich or well to do, just balance the budget carefully and happy I do. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Lee and Fran: any recommendations for purchase/installation of a moto sat satellite tv dish? Our standard issue dish now flops around like a drunken dancer in the most gentle breeze these days.
    DH loves the blue light effect: so much for my scientific review of the best replacement...ha! :rolleyes:
    Thanks for any insights.
    B)

5. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I got onto moto sats site and found where they have people in the area I was in and called the nearest one and made an appointment. Let me tell you they are not cheap. Just for my interernet system was over 6000 dollars and that included paying for him to come to my site and install and also to stay over night at a local rv park. I am sure the tv internet would not be much more since it only involve an additional head for your dish arm. I would not trade my system for anything. If you could get to an installers location you would save some money.

http://portal.motosat.com/

http://www.motosat.com/

These should help you.

6. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Nov 20 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]14035[/snapback]

I got onto moto sats site and found where they have people in the area I was in and called the nearest one and made an appointment. Let me tell you they are not cheap. Just for my interernet system was over 6000 dollars and that included paying for him to come to my site and install and also to stay over night at a local rv park. I am sure the tv internet would not be much more since it only involve an additional head for your dish arm.
    A couple of minor points.

First, the OP is apparently looking for in-motion satellite TV. An "additional head for your [Datastorm] dish arm" won't provide that.

Chris didn't say whether he/she intends to sign up with DirecTV or Dish Network, but the "additional head for your dish arm" will work only for DirecTV, not Dish.

7. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(freelander @ Nov 13 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]13881[/snapback]

Hi All
    I am looking to get a weingard in motin satellite . I have contacted Camping World who Quoted about $3,000. for system and intallation at3 sites.. I live in NJ.. I saw the satellite for $1100 but was quoted $1700 the rest is service and little items like shop towels and wire.. :unsure: what is going on? I have only owned my RV 4 months so I am lost when it comes to this. any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

Since you want in-motion reception, you are limited to the under-a-dome types of dishes.

Those have some advantages over the open dishes like the MotoSat models. You can't forget to put them down when you drive off, and you won't catch leaves and twigs in the innards when driving under trees.

On the other hand, they are much more susceptible to signal loss because of weather, or "rain fade". We have a stationary dome antenna on the roof, and I often need to get out our tripod-mounted dish to get reliable reception in rain and fog.

I had a simple open manual installed on our last motor home. It was around $400, took 30 seconds to aim, and had great reception. When our current dome antenna bites the dust, that's what I am putting up to replace it.

Unless I switch to HDTV and need access multiple satellites, in which case I'll buy some MotoSat dish like this one: HD Antenna

8. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

I'll answer on as an RV owner, not a park owner. My coach has a Kingdome in motion system and it alternates between great and total cr@p. The actual dish is so small that almost anything will block the signal. I have lost signal in parks where the only obstruction between me and the southern sky is a one inch sapling. Moving the coach 2 feet got a signal, but it is frustrating. The bigger concern with Directv is the in Motion systems will not give you satisfactory service when using HD. You will be able to get only a fraction of the channels and will lose service to your other TVs when you tune to an HD satellite. Directv now uses five satellites to transmit all the channels and in motion recievers currently only can tune to one at a time. Also, 3 of the channels are a different frequency class from the original Directv frequencies (satellite 101 and 110) these are not compatible with any in motion system I am aware of. I am planning on installing a winegard automatic system that will tune all five satellites. I will connect it with at transfer to my in Motion system, so the in motion will work going down the road and I can switch to the five satellite system when I set up. I had a guest at my campground who had one of these winegard systems and it took about 10 minutes for the system to find all the satellites and tune itself in. This was through a bunch of trees that I thought would render the system inoperative. He had no problem and told me he had never had a site that wouldn't allow the system to tune in. I love my HD TV and love to park in the trees, this is the system for me! By the way, they are around $1500.00 installed as far as I can tell. Good luck