Advice On Durango To Silverton

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by britboy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. britboy

britboy
    Expand Collapse

Hi, Has anyone travelled on US550 between Durango and Silverton? Is it possible in an RV (25ft C Class)? I've just been looking at some information on Wiki and I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable. I'd appreciate some advice.

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Jan 10 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]5771[/snapback]

I imagine some of you guys have driven highway 550 between Silverton, CO and Ouray. The first time we did it, we were still living in Dallas and were going to Ouray on vacation, I think it was in 1990. We had a full size conversion van at the time (back when the kids were small and thought you had to have a tv, nintendo and vcr to travel). I had never been to the mountains and literally thought I would have a heart attack on that road. Greg finally made me go to the back of the van and pull up the shades because I was crying so hard I was bothering him - it was his first time to drive on anything like that. For those of you who are not familiar with "the million dollar highway", there is no guard rail and no shoulder whatsoever. There is the white stripe on the road and then straight down. Also a lot of curves and switchbacks. We were travelling with our best friends who also lived in Dallas (seperate vehicles). When we finally got to our condo in Ouray, I told Greg and Jud that they would have to find a different way home because I absolutely refused to go on that road again. They were sports about it and did find another route, going thru Pueblo instead of Durango. I have travelled that road many times now and can't say I like it much better. I don't cry anymore but my heart still beats considerably faster when on it. I cannot imagine being on it in an RV.

OK, just read the following post and that answers the question for me. No chance of me going anywhere near that road.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have run Hwy 550 from Durango up to Grand Junction, CO. Our motorhome is 36 foot with tow. The road is good but you have a lot of turns to make on it. The speed is slow and some places you need to travel at 5 MPH. Views are out of this world. Couple places the drop offs on side of road are a long way down. We stopped at all the small towns on way up. Trip was around seven hours or so with the stops.

3. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(britboy @ Apr 15 2009, 11:25 AM) [snapback]15890[/snapback]

Hi, Has anyone travelled on US550 between Durango and Silverton? Is it possible in an RV (25ft C Class)? I've just been looking at some information on Wiki and I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable. I'd appreciate some advice.
    OK, just read the following post and that answers the question for me. No chance of me going anywhere near that road.

If you have the opportunity, you have to drive that road, and then go on to Ouray and return.

However, in my opinion, anyone who travels that road in an oversized vehicle is inviting problems. It isn't that I doubt my ability, it's that I doubt everyone else's! Too many possibilities for accidents.

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I guess it's all in the perception. Having lived above 8,000 feet in Colorado for 23 years it didn't seem that bad. Great views. Attached is a photo of the road.

Attached Files:

5. britboy

britboy
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a fantastic road, something I'd prefer to drive in a car. I think I'll give it a miss and perhaps take the train instead. Many thanks for the advice and info.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The train ride is also a great way to see the Nat Park.

7. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

This I will tell you, it is done by 1000s of RVs every day, with out mishap. It depended on your skill level and your degree of confidence.
    One thing for sure, it is a beautiful trip second to none.

8. Oldtymeflyr

Oldtymeflyr
    Expand Collapse

The tough part of the road is after Silverton. Its also relative.
    If you are not used to mountain driving then the road to Silverton can be a challenge.

The road to Silverton is not that much different then the road between Pagosa Springs and Silverton just steeper and a little narrower.

After Silverton things get much steeper, much narrower and much more twisty.

For one thing you will be on the mountain side if you are going north. That makes people more comfortable, you will also find that people in the downhill side will crowd the line and maybe even be over it. You can see it in their eyes.

Your rig is not a "big" rig. If you just take it easy, watch the speed, stay cool, keep your eyes on the road (you will have to work at this) have a steady hand and take a break to see the country (driving you will not be able to see a lot of it) and you will be fine.

9. britboy

britboy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Oldtymeflyr @ Apr 22 2009, 08:46 AM) [snapback]16018[/snapback]

The tough part of the road is after Silverton. Its also relative.
    If you are not used to mountain driving then the road to Silverton can be a challenge.

The road to Silverton is not that much different then the road between Pagosa Springs and Silverton just steeper and a little narrower.

After Silverton things get much steeper, much narrower and much more twisty.

For one thing you will be on the mountain side if you are going north. That makes people more comfortable, you will also find that people in the downhill side will crowd the line and maybe even be over it. You can see it in their eyes.

Your rig is not a "big" rig. If you just take it easy, watch the speed, stay cool, keep your eyes on the road (you will have to work at this) have a steady hand and take a break to see the country (driving you will not be able to see a lot of it) and you will be fine.

I live in the UK, the highest peak in the area is 500ft and I drive a small compact saloon so this would be a significant challenge. I think I'll decide on the day and thanks ever so much for the advice.

10. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Drove it many years ago with a Class C towing a Vega ( I told you it was a long time ago!) Road was so bad that I stopped and detached the Vega and had a friend drive it-- the motor home was struggling pulling and I couldn't worry about that and the road. Then we proceeded at a great 15 - 20 mph. I made it and most do, but it is a challenge. But britboy you will not run into sheep and it is no worse than some of the one lane roads I drove in the lake district!

11. britboy

britboy
    Expand Collapse

I got back from my vacation yesterday and had a fantastic time. I actually rented a car to drive this road but saw plenty of trucks and A classes. Although I would drive this in a motorhome in the future taking a car made it a nice, easy drive.