Air Card In Alaska

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by trailmaster, Jan 18, 2010.

1. trailmaster

trailmaster
    Expand Collapse

Going to AK this summer and would like to know if sprint and verzion air cards work. I will be going to fairbanks, delta, anchorage and all points in between. Also do they work in canada?
    Thanks for any info in advance. :blink:

2. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Jan 18 2010, 09:03 PM) [snapback]20706[/snapback]

Going to AK this summer and would like to know if sprint and verzion air cards work. I will be going to fairbanks, delta, anchorage and all points in between. Also do they work in canada?

While we don't have a Verizon 'aircard' we did go with a group to Alaska last year that did. Since an 'aircard' is basically a cell phone signal one receives the signal wherever one can send/receive a cell phone call. In our group we had 2 Verizon folks, one sprint, one ATT. Verizon was the clear winner by far.

Having said that in Alaska (and Canada as well) there are very large areas where you can't get any signal from any carrier. By in large you can get signals in most small to large cities. Regardless of who you have you'll pay a hefty .69 (or more) roaming charge while in Canada.

Same with sat TV...........you just don't get it up there. Regardless of those two items you'll absolutely love your trip.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi trailmaster,

While your air cards will likely work--you may wish to inquire from the service provider what their roaming rates are in Canada. $3.00 per meg can add up to a pretty big bill pretty fast.

Enjoy the trip!

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Jan 18 2010, 08:03 PM) [snapback]20706[/snapback]

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about Sprint, but Verizon's Alaska coverage has expanded quite a bit in the last few years. You can see it here. Make sure you click on "Broadband & V CAST" and refresh the map. The yellow "Extended Broadband & V CAST" areas in the results are high speed service, while the green "Extended Enhanced Services" are 1x areas, with a max speed of 144 kbps.

Regarding satellite TV, I know from experience that you need at least a 30" dish to receive Dish Network up there. No under-the-dome rooftop antenna will work either. Those don't work once you get just a little north of the border with the Lesser 48.

When we lived there DirecTV had no service there, but they had it at least in Anchorage when we were there last month. I'm sure it will require a large dish as well.

It's a great drive up there. Have a good time!