Am I Safe?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by R McCoy, Nov 5, 2023.

1. R McCoy

R McCoy
    Expand Collapse

Hello folks. I'm a Canadian looking to possibly winter in the southern states (Arizona preferably) but I have reservations given the recent news about gun violence in the US. I don't carry a firearm, hell I don't even own one. Is it really that bad or are the media companies just sensationalizing it?

Thanks for the honest replies.

mdcamping and The5goodwins like this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yes, for the most part. However, I would not winter anywhere close to the southern border.

mdcamping and The5goodwins like this.
  3. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

I believe that the media is sensationalizing and reporting what people want to hear. With that said gun violence has gotten out of control both in the U.S and here in Canada. I don’t think you are in any worse danger the farther south you go as long as you keep your nose clean and mind your own business. Violence can happen anywhere. It may seem worse in the U.S but don’t forget there is 10x or more the amount of people than in Canada so of course you will hear about it more.

#3 Fun finders, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I used to travel a lot to southern California and Arizona and never had a problem at any campground I stayed at. Don't worry about not carrying a firearm. There are many campgrounds that don't allow them in the first place.
    The worst I ever encountered as far as security goes was driving through some sketchy neighborhoods. I definitely didn't stick around for long in those places!
    Also close to the southern border you will find plenty of border patrol checkpoints that are a real pain. I even had to show our passports at one of them in Texas.
    Just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

weighit, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

my parents and I traveled all over this country from the late '60s to '80s. When i started a family in the '90s, we again have traveled all over this country. in all those trips, we have never felt threatened, or unsafe, even in recent years. Yes, there is increased violence today, but i'm not going to let fear keep us from enjoying this beautiful country. No, we do not have any weapons for added protection.

The scariest time we had was when my parents were stopped in a strip mall to do laundry. Our Fitzjohn motorhome kinda looked like a grayhound bus (if you ignored the curtains in the windows). because of this, an inebriated person started coming in the open door, mumbling something about the destination of the "bus". one of our min pin dogs realized this was not right, bit the man on the finger, he sobered up quiclky and ran out.

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and greetings to a fellow Canadian, born and raised in Vancouver and living since 12 in California. As the others have said crime has increased over this past decade or so, especially in the bigger cities and the ones near the southern border areas, but as long as you are aware of your surroundings and stay in places that aren't in questionable areas, you will be just fine. As for carrying a firearm:rolleyes: or a crossbow:p just make sure you are aware of the laws that pertain in the areas you are in. Have a safe and enjoyable trip and watch out for the loony-tune drivers that are in abundance on our highways and even byways down here.......:eek:

Regards, BankShot.....(aka Terry)

Fitzjohnfan, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

What I have noticed and what Terry mentioned is the highway traffic around our big cities has really regressed which includes the beltways. Noticed cars all the time speeding & cutting in/out of lanes and I have found it is increasing difficult to maintain safe distances. Pay extra attention to driving defensively and if possible shorter travel distances when traveling city areas. Sorry to go off subject but this is also safety related. :)

Mike

Fitzjohnfan likes this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The only time I ever recall feeling a little concerned for my safety while at a campground was when a black bear wondered into our site while I was grilling our dinner. Yelling and arm waving didn't seem to have any effect on him, but when my wife came out banging a pot and pan together, the bear decided it was time to go and wondered off.

R McCoy, Fitzjohnfan and Paythebill like this.