Amish Country Pa

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Rebellious_78, May 12, 2006.

1. Rebellious_78

Rebellious_78
    Expand Collapse

:D Hello everyone! We are new here to this forum and wanted to post a quick question.
    Does anyone recommend a good campground in or near Amish Country PA? DH and I are planning on going this summer and spending at least 4-5 days there. We have no children so we do not need to be around pools, playgrounds or game rooms. Just peace and quiet. Anyone have any favorite places to go?

Thanks!!!! :D :D

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

It has been a few years but we liked Warwick Woods Campground. It had what we needed, was quiet and had great fireplaces.

It is east of Lancaster but it is close to the real Amish Farms and not the tourist farms.

3. jkbuck

jkbuck
    Expand Collapse

I just camped with our camping group in Lancaster last weekend. We stayed at Country Acres Campground on Rt.30. It was wonderful. The sites at the upper portion of the campground are 50 amps and are more spacious than the lowe-campground sites. We stayed on site 870 and it was perfect. We also noted that the following sites were also great: 885, 886, 895, 828 (30 amp), 837 (30 amp), 838 (30 amp). The bath houses were immaculant!!!! You won't be disappointed with this campground. No problems at all with noise or any other distraction mentioned in the reviews. Staff was extremely helpful also. If you want to go to a great place to eat that has exceptional value, try Dienners Restaurant or Jenny's Diner. YOu can't beat them. Both are located about 1 - 1 1/2 miles from the campground. Hope this helps.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We were in New Holland this week as we have been a number of times I may can help you. If you do not need a pool look at Country Haven Campground under New Holland. If you like a lot of trees and woods look at Spring Gulch also under New Holland.

Country Haven over looks eight miles of Amish farm land from side of a hill. Sites are in two layers and lots of people sit outside and look at people working farms before. Amish lady across street bakes breads and cakes on Friday and Saturday if you have an order in.

Spring Gulch is across the street and little north. Sites are great as is the park. Park is large but sites are in the trees. This park has two pools.

We spent a lot of time in two parks. Please go to Sandy Maple Smorgasbord for 200 feet of great Amish food.

Look up sites comments on this board.

5. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

I agree with John Blue, Spring Gulch is an exceptional campground. I would add that the upper section of the campground has very nice sites and is away from some of the noise. You'll probably need to drive down to the bottom of the CG because of a large road/hill to access upper portion.

The Amish country is a great place to camp.

Happy Memorial Day!

6. First hybrid06

First hybrid06
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 20 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]4258[/snapback]

We were in New Holland this week as we have been a number of times I may can help you. If you do not need a pool look at Country Haven Campground under New Holland. If you like a lot of trees and woods look at Spring Gulch also under New Holland.

Country Haven over looks eight miles of Amish farm land from side of a hill. Sites are in two layers and lots of people sit outside and look at people working farms before. Amish lady across street bakes breads and cakes on Friday and Saturday if you have an order in.

Spring Gulch is across the street and little north. Sites are great as is the park. Park is large but sites are in the trees. This park has two pools.

We spent a lot of time in two parks. Please go to Sandy Maple Smorgasbord for 200 feet of great Amish food.

Look up sites comments on this board.

Not an RV comment,but had to share!!!

SHADY MAPLE IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I used live outside Philly and once a month we would make the drive out there!!!!

I like the "old" place better than the the new one (was there in 04).

When the kids are gone, I want to move back to live in the area.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Based on your recommendations, I just made a reservation at Spring Gulch to finish up our 3 week summer vacation. We were planning on Busch Gardens but decided we didn't want to face the crowds and long lines. The woman that took my reservation was very friendly, nice, and helpful. When I mentioned RV Park Reviews, she knew what I was talking about! I also found it amusing that she also recommended the Sandy Maple Smorgasbord. If this is an omen as to how well our visit will be, I'm sure we won't be disappointed! This will be our first visit to PA Amsh country, usually we go to the Sugar Creek area in OH.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Cherly,

You will like the park, take a site on hill if you like the trees. As you come out of park turn right on road 897, go over the hill and down the other side. You will come to road 322, turn left in short ways turn right back on to road 897again, Sandy Maple Smorgasbord will be on left side off the road. Go in emply, also they have three meals a day Monday - Saturday. No service on Sunday. The same Amish man owns Snady Maple and supermarket next door. He also lives in White house at rear of supermarket. He has lawn sells to may more money. The supermarket is one of the best we have every been shopping in. Wal -Mart stores are low class next to this place.

Also remember the lady across from Country Haven RV Park (left as you come out of park) will bake you bread and cakes on Friday & Saturday if you order it up front. Her sign is on mail box. She is 100% Amish and so is her food. Enjoy the Amish people and farm lands. Watch out for road apples or horse exhaust on roads.

Are you OK on the sat. TV iss: now?

We are back home from 3500 mile trip around the east coast.

Have fun in Dutch Country!

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

John, Thanks for the directions. The woman put us on a site on the hill close to the pool. I believe she said we will have trees on 2 sides of us. We will be there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, leaving Sunday - not much open in Amish country on Sundays.
    As to the Satellite issue, wrong Cheryl, Cheryl Fuller had the questions.
    Hope you had good weather on your trip, it has been a little wet lately.

10. nala0016

nala0016
    Expand Collapse

We started going to Spring Gulch campground last year based on the reviews here. we looked at other campgrounds in the area,but none of them had the spacious sites like the ones up in the 1500's.
    We took a seasonal site there this year and have been up every weekend so far. Its nice and peaceful. Pool is heated and clean . Very nice people up there. The location is great with easy access to rt 340 and 30. We even bought a golf cart for the hill.
    Cheryl let me know when you'll be there.
    Have a safe journey.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Our reservations are for Aug 1 - Aug 6th. We looked at several site options. I think the woman said she was putting us on site 1621, but, I'm not sure.

12. Kevin

Kevin
    Expand Collapse

Try Beacon Hill in Intercourse, PA. Great little campground without a lot of "extras" but
    clean, friendly and convenient to ALL the sites. Amish people come by all day so you get
    to see them up close. Understand, they are very private people so it is best to research
    the appropriate behavior before venturing anywhere into Amish Country. This is a real working
    community and The Amish welcome tourists but we heard some real "horror stories" of
    bad behavior by outsiders.

13. Mr B

Mr B
    Expand Collapse

Stay away from Country Haven , new owners , nasty :( :(

14. Mr B

Mr B
    Expand Collapse

Try " Old Mill Stream " next to Dutch Wounderland on rt 30 or try Roamers Retreat , 2 miles north of the Gap , right on rt 30 or Spring Gulch Resort , on rt 897 .