Android Tethering

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Florida Native, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have an Android smart phone and can do internet via WiFi or 3G phone surfing. I have seen from the Geek Team RV Team that there is unlimited minutes when tethering. (I have unlimited minutes when using the internet with the Android.). I set up tethering via USB cable, but it ask me for additional month money. Is anybody doing this? It would be great to use the big screen even if slower.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Well, I went to the Verizon store and they informed me that any tethering was subject to additional charges even if I had unlimited on my Android. They should know.

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

There are two apps that allow you to take advantage of your unlimited data plan to tether your Droid: PdaNet and EasyTether.

PdaNet costs $15.95 and EasyTether costs $9.95. Both have trial versions available for free download.

I have used PdaNet extensively. Others have been very happy with EasyTether.

A good source for finding other users is the Yahoo InternetBySmartphone forum (I am the moderator there).

4. Hank069

Hank069
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 20 2011, 10:45 PM) [snapback]25920[/snapback]

I have an Android smart phone and can do internet via WiFi or 3G phone surfing. I have seen from the Geek Team RV Team that there is unlimited minutes when tethering. (I have unlimited minutes when using the internet with the Android.). I set up tethering via USB cable, but it ask me for additional month money. Is anybody doing this? It would be great to use the big screen even if slower.

I use droid 2, and tether to a mac. My verizon package is the 59.00 plan with unlimited internet, I use approx 15gb a month, and download speed are 300kbs... I'm currently staying in a campground that does not offer wifi, no internet, no cable access, could get satellite but the cost is much to high and the broadband is limited, I can recommend PDA.net as a app... www.junefabrics.com to look up your computer and phone. Unsure with windows but with my mac I can use the tether and broadcast a wifi signal to my ps3 and download games, and updates. I must warn you as I have burned out 4 droids so far, but the Droid 2 is working fine. Droid 2 is a better design then the regular droid, much faster, and stays cooler. I enjoyed pda.net so much I paid the extra money to get the secure https but for regular surfing its not needed.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I am writing this using Easy Tether. It was a little confusing to install, but is pretty fast. It is really going to be nice. I just have the free version now and will upgrade soon. Highly recommended by me.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I just paid my $9.99 and got the full featured version. This is really slick and I believe we will be using it a whole lot on our RV trips. Speed is acceptable and OK for watching short news videos. For anybody with a smart phone. I highly recommend it. They have it for just about all smart phones. It now even gets secured site (https). For anybody with a smart phone, this is definitely the way to go. I know this isn't approved by Verizon, but the way I look at it, I am not doing anything I could not do on my Android, I am just utilizing a bigger screen. It is not my primary source for the internet.

7. Iceman567

Iceman567
    Expand Collapse

We currently have T-Mobile 1000mins/mo, unlimited text and internet for $69.99. NO extra data charges. I use the phone tethered to the laptop using 'Easy Tether' and have used PDANet. This combo is our Internet connection on the road and at home. Not quite as fast as broadband but it works.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

That's what my Verizon costs. I am using it right now to write this in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Very nice. I love tethering celular.

9. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ May 3 2011, 06:17 AM) [snapback]25998[/snapback]

That's what my Verizon costs. I am using it right now to write this in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Very nice. I love tethering celular.

You have 1000mins/mo, unlimited text and Internet for $69.99 from Verizon?