Another Question

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by sillypup, Jul 3, 2007.

1. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Ok, new day, new question! :p

Yesterday when I went to the dealer for the PDI, I asked the PDI person about using a generator to charge the battery when drycamping, and he told me that I don't need a generator unless I plan to use the AC or the microwave when drycamping. He said all I have to do is plug the trailer into my truck and start the truck "for a while" and that would charge the trailer battery. Is that true? If so, is it common practice to do so? It seems to me that "a while" might be a long while, to fully charge the battery, but on the other hand it would be quieter than running a generator. How long is "a while"? (the guy couldn't tell me). Any thoughts on this?

Mia

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mia,

It would take a long, long run time for your truck to charge the trailer battery. That said if you are only "overnighting" while drycamping the next day's drive may do the trick.

For quiet charging consider adding solar panels to your trailer. They will cost more than a generator but they are a "one time" cost. The generator will need fuel, oil changes and routine maintenance. I'm sure many folks have both solar and generators. If I had to choose one or the other I'd go for a generator that will produce 2800 watts. That's enough to start up and run a 13500 btu air conditioner. (mine is a Kipor 3500 with electric start)

The nice thing about solar panels is that they may tend to take care of certain "parasitic" loads in the RV (for example my Norcold fridge is *always* drawing 12 volt power even when it is set to *off*) With solar panels, in theory at least, the "trailer battery" should have a longer life span.

QUOTE(sillypup @ Jul 3 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]7565[/snapback]

Ok, new day, new question! :p

Yesterday when I went to the dealer for the PDI, I asked the PDI person about using a generator to charge the battery when drycamping, and he told me that I don't need a generator unless I plan to use the AC or the microwave when drycamping. He said all I have to do is plug the trailer into my truck and start the truck "for a while" and that would charge the trailer battery. Is that true? If so, is it common practice to do so? It seems to me that "a while" might be a long while, to fully charge the battery, but on the other hand it would be quieter than running a generator. How long is "a while"? (the guy couldn't tell me). Any thoughts on this?

Mia

3. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Pianotuna, thanks for your reply. I think I'll go get a generator, and maybe I'll add some solar panels in the future after doing some more research. For now, I'm going to get a smaller generator, just for charging the battery. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do without the AC most of the time, since I plan on camping mostly along the coast where it's almost always windy and it doesn't get too hot. If it gets super hot, I guess I'll just have to go somewhere with hookups :)

Mia

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mia,

Check out http://freecampgrounds.com/

They list free or almost free places to stay. Some are Walmarts--but some are also legitimate campgrounds.

I hope you will have some 12 volt fans! RV's are notoriously *hot*.

QUOTE(sillypup @ Jul 5 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]7588[/snapback]

Pianotuna, thanks for your reply. I think I'll go get a generator, and maybe I'll add some solar panels in the future after doing some more research. For now, I'm going to get a smaller generator, just for charging the battery. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do without the AC most of the time, since I plan on camping mostly along the coast where it's almost always windy and it doesn't get too hot. If it gets super hot, I guess I'll just have to go somewhere with hookups :)

Mia