Another Satellitte Question

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Those of you who are not full timers and have satellite-- is there any special rate or do you have to pay the, say $29.995 a month, even though you are only using it maybe 10 days a month? I know you can get an additional account for less, but what if you do not have satellite at home? Thanks

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Bud:

We have Direct TV in our home and in the motorhome. We pay about $70.00 per month for the unit at home, but only about $4.00 per month for the unit in the motorhome. If we choose to shut down the unit at home and save $70.00 per month, then the unit on the motorhome goes up to $70.00 per month. Basically, you pay for satellite TV at home whether you are there or not but, for only $4.00 per month, you are allowed to use that satellite tv subscription in your motorhome.

3. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Nov 28 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]9261[/snapback]

Bud:

We have Direct TV in our home and in the motorhome. We pay about $70.00 per month for the unit at home, but only about $4.00 per month for the unit in the motorhome. If we choose to shut down the unit at home and save $70.00 per month, then the unit on the motorhome goes up to $70.00 per month. Basically, you pay for satellite TV at home whether you are there or not but, for only $4.00 per month, you are allowed to use that satellite tv subscription in your motorhome.

Hey Beastdriver,

I also have Directv at home. Is the $4 a month including any equipment or is there an additional charge for I'm assuming a dish you have on your motorhome.

Thanks,

4. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We have satellite TV at home. Last year we had the service put on hold for the time we were gone for $5 a month. We now have a different provider and are going to use our dish when traveling south for a couple months. The company assured us that the rate would be the same (keeping the same package deal). So I guess we will find out! We aren't big TV watchers, but have been able to connect to cable for $0 in many places. It is nice to get more than one channel. We make sure we have movies or other things to do should we be stuck in bad weather, etc. :huh:

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Rodman:

We had to buy and have installed the dome and dish and, as well, had to buy and have installed the satellite receiver. The $4 monthly charge for the motorhome includes only the service.

6. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Bud> There is only two ways to get satellite in your rig. Either you pay for the basic hook-up package as you would if you had it in your house, or you find a 'friend' who will add you to their service package. If it's the first, it will cost you about $30/mo. If the second, it will be about $5/mo. Either way, you will have to get a receiver and antenna dish for the rig.

7. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. Still not sure what I'll do. But at least you have given me options

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

One more item. Remove sat.received and remote from home, go buy a dish for ground use and you are ready to go. At time of travel move receive and remote to MH and you can use it anyplace you go if you can see the sky well. We pay $50 per month for Directv.

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Nov 28 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]9269[/snapback]

Rodman:

We had to buy and have installed the dome and dish and, as well, had to buy and have installed the satellite receiver. The $4 monthly charge for the motorhome includes only the service.

Thanks, Beastdriver, thats what I thought. I did a little checking and the equipment is pretty expensive. The least expensive mounted dish without labor was $800. At this point we don't get out enough to warrant that. Maybe when the wife and I can get out as much as you we will pay the price, until then good old air channels when we can't get cable.

Just my opinion,

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Don't forget that in Feb 2009 your existing TV may no longer work--and the batwing antenna may be toast as well. That may make a dish a more interesting proposition.

QUOTE(rodman @ Nov 29 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]9278[/snapback]

Thanks, Beastdriver, thats what I thought. I did a little checking and the equipment is pretty expensive. The least expensive mounted dish without labor was $800. At this point we don't get out enough to warrant that. Maybe when the wife and I can get out as much as you we will pay the price, until then good old air channels when we can't get cable.

Just my opinion,

11. Reno

Reno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Nov 30 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]9286[/snapback]

Hi,

Don't forget that in Feb 2009 your existing TV may no longer work--and the batwing antenna may be toast as well. That may make a dish a more interesting proposition.

QUOTE(rodman @ Nov 29 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]9278[/snapback]

Just my opinion,

We have cable at home but we subscribe to DirectTV in the MH. When we get to Fla I call t hem and have it activated and then we pay the $29.95 or what ever for each month we're down there. When we come home I just have it put on "vacation shut down" to the next winter. I believe they told me you can have it put on shutdown for up to 9 months.
    Reno

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps I am missing something here in these threads, and if so, I apologize in advance.
    However, I stand by my original comments, having done this satellite thing for three years at a cost of $40/month.

If one has sat TV in their home, then you can take the receiver that is already there and put it in any RV, and along with an external dish antennae, be able to get sat TV anywhere in the US. The extra dish antenna that you will have to take with you in the RV will cost about $40 depending where you buy it. Other than that second dish antenna, there is NO extra cost associate with doing this. You are already paying for the system that is installed in your home. All you would be doing is moving the receiver to the RV and taking it with you on the road.

Rodman> There isn’t enough information to know why you would be paying $800 for “installed equipment” but that’s an absurd amount of money. Again, a tripod-mounted dish antenna is only about $40.

It’s a personal preference, but satellite is the only way to go for doing both home and RV television. One price for two situations.

13. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

RLM is correct. I did that for a number of years when I had a dish at home. My problem is that I no longer have a dish. The problem is the house I live in, in Fla, makes running new cable a real problem - there is no attic access. So I use the cable that is already here. So I would be a new installation for the dish on the motor home and it would cost me 30-40 a month, when I would only use it about 10 days a month. In a couple of years, when I am on the road more, I may go with the activate, de-activate method. But you can do what RLM suggests.

14. wandering palms

wandering palms
    Expand Collapse

If you take your receiver from home and it has a phone line connected to it be sure to call the company and let them know that you are moving it to your RV for vacation. There is no charge, but if their computer tries to connect with your receiver over the phone line and it can't it will cut off your service.

15. cb5300

cb5300
    Expand Collapse

I have Direct TV at the house with 5 receivers (3 bedrooms and 2 family rooms) I pay $4.99 a month for the 4 extra units on top of my package price. When I bought my motor home in March of this year it came with the inmotion sat. and 2 receivers. I activatived the two units and they "mirrored" them on my home account for $4.99 ea/per month. So counting the MH I now pay for 6 extra receivers and the base package which encluded one receiver... If you try to add the network feeds (New York and LA) for CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC then if you only have the one receiver at home you can take the unit from your house and use it in the MH with no problem, however....If you have more than one receiver on your account then the MH can not mirror off of your home acct. and it must be set up as a seperate account with the full charges applied. This only applies if you DO NOT already have the network feeds (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) on your home acct. If you do, then you are "grandfathered" and you won't get hit with the extra charges for a seperate acct.

Even with all of the BS above, satellite TV is the only way to go, more channels, better pictures, and the fact that the "Boss" can watch her QVC as we motor down the highway.