Anybody Using A Chuck Box?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NorthernIllinoisPlumber, Mar 5, 2010.

1. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

[attachmentid=184]

Wondering how practical they are...there seems to be a mass produced one I have seen on several websites.

I do like the idea of having everything in one space.

Attached Files:

2. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

We use them in the Boyscouts, but of course, ours are made by the scouts. Large wooden boxes that stand on 4 legs and fold open. They are very practical for scouting, just because each patrol has one and can make their own breakfasts. We dont use them to cook on, only to store utensils, plates, cups, spices, dishwashing supplies, etc. No food or cooking fuel is allowed in them. The drawbacks I see using a chuck box for a family camp out:
    1. Its heavy and you would need some help setting it up.
    2. Storage space in your camper.

Here is one very similar to the ones we use.
    http://files.myopera.com/pwef/albums/11207/IMGCCS6PVRS3O.jpg

3. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

wow! I have not seen one of those in..... well, since I was in Boy Scouts, and we had one when I was a kid and we owned a tent camper...

They are heavy, the one we used in scouts had wheels.

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Mar 5 2010, 11:45 PM) [snapback]21186[/snapback]

[attachmentid=184]
    Wondering how practical they are...there seems to be a mass produced one I have seen on several websites.

I do like the idea of having everything in one space.

4. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

:D Brings back memories huh??? LOL
    I was in cub scouts, webelos and boyscouts. My oldest boy was in scouts until recently, and my youngest is chomping at the bit to get into cub scouts!

5. GrandmaM

GrandmaM
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    We used a chuck box when we were tent campers and had to carry everything in the old station wagon. They are convenient, keep you organized, and make camp cooking fun. But if you're traveling in the trailer shown, the boxes are awfully heavy.
    Use your cupboards and drawers instead, and then, once you've packed, go back and leave half the stuff home. For outside cooking, look at some of the lightweight systems at the camping supply companies, and only buy what you really need. It's so much fun to have a "cool" campsite, but how much time do you want to spend setting up camp, and how much time enjoying yourself? I'd rather be fishing!!
    We're a scouting family from way back, and we love it! Our daughter met her husband at an Explorer conference, and now their son 13, keeps his Mom busy sewing on those badges!