Avoid Units With Kwikee Steps

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2007 Damon Motor Home equipped with Kwikee electric steps. They failed 3 days after the warranty expired. I tried calling them maybe 10 times and left three or four messages asking them to call me about repair and whether they wanted to stand behind their product. No response. I searched them on the internet and their is no place you can get a phone number to actually talk to a real live person-- though they say on their web site that they pride themselves on their customer service-- what a joke! I went ahead and got the steps fixed, to the tune of over $500 and wrote them a letter, stating that 3 days out of warranty was not much for a quality product and would they be willing to talk about helping me with the bill. The email response was "no--warranty expired". Not even a I'm sorry and we are sorry we failed to respond to your repeated calls. Just No. I have had Damon help with repairs 6 months out of warranty and my previous coach was a Tiffin and I really don't have to say anything else. Their customer service is a legend in the industry. I know it is hard to avoid buying Kwikee products-- but if you can do yourself a favor and avoid them

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Hey Bud, where did you get it repaired? I am in central Florida. $500 Seems very high to me. What was wrong with them? They are standard equipment on many RV’s. I found this on the internet.

Kwikee Products CO Incorporated
    kwikeeproducts.com
    (574) 254-5265
    1217 E 7th St
    Mishawaka, IN

Good Luck

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is after the fact, and I don't know if you tried these numbers, but they are listed on the Damon website.

Damon Motor Coach
    P.O. Box 2888 • Elkhart, IN 46515

Customer Service & Support
    800-860-3812
    574-584-2100 (FAX)

Sales & Product Information
    800-860-5658
    574-584-3656 (FAX)

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Dec 10 2009, 08:32 PM) [snapback]20305[/snapback]

Hey Bud, where did you get it repaired? I am in central Florida. $500 Seems very high to me. What was wrong with them? They are standard equipment on many RV’s. I found this on the internet.

Kwikee Products CO Incorporated
    kwikeeproducts.com
    (574) 254-5265
    1217 E 7th St
    Mishawaka, IN
    Good Luck

Thanks Lindsay-- tried that number, the number in the manual and the number I was given at the repair center. All you get is an answering machine and no way to get around it. I got it repaired in Summerfield. Was getting ready to go on a trip and they could do the work! Just really made me mad that Kwikee would not respond even when I told them in a message I was trying to get on the road. Just a bunch of Jerks! IMO

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 10 2009, 08:41 PM) [snapback]20306[/snapback]

This is after the fact, and I don't know if you tried these numbers, but they are listed on the Damon website.

Damon Motor Coach
    P.O. Box 2888 • Elkhart, IN 46515

Customer Service & Support
    800-860-3812
    574-584-2100 (FAX)

Sales & Product Information
    800-860-5658
    574-584-3656 (FAX)

Damon has always been very good at helping me, with the exception of the TV they installed which did not have a digital tuner. But figured this was covered by Kwikee and tried to deal with them. Never thought to call Damon

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Bud,

I see I made made an incorrect assumption. In your first post you said, "I tried calling them maybe 10 times" and I thought you meant you had called Damon. That's why I looked up and listed their numbers. Sorry I misunderstood, but maybe they can help you after all.

Also this is a bit off topic, but since you brought up automated phone systems I thought I'd mention that quite a few systems are set up so that if you push (or dial) zero while the message is playing it will connect you to a real person. It doesn't need to say dial zero for it to be set up that way. I have gotten through to a person using this method on several occasions. If the zero doesn't work also try #, *, or 9. These also work sometimes. Just FYI.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

One more trick that works well. It you can not get them to answer the phone then try the e-mail route and tell them you will write up the poor service and sent it all your RV friends. Also tell them you will add a complaint on line about the same poor service. Tell them in this way thousands of people will see it.

I did this over a yard tractor and before it was over I received all the parts I ask for plus a hat, two shirts, can of touch up paint, new parts manuals, and e-mail to say how sorry they were over the small problem I had. Later one more (Bad Boy) shirt come in. It was the wrong size and would fit a small lady, not me. E-mail sent back over the problem and the correct size was sent out plus a note to pass the small size shirt over to the wife. It works for me! Power of the pen!

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 10 2009, 10:25 PM) [snapback]20313[/snapback]

Also this is a bit off topic, but since you brought up automated phone systems I thought I'd mention that quite a few systems are set up so that if you push (or dial) zero while the message is playing it will connect you to a real person. It doesn't need to say dial zero for it to be set up that way. I have gotten through to a person using this method on several occasions. If the zero doesn't work also try #, *, or 9. These also work sometimes. Just FYI.

There is a web site called "gethuman.org" or maybe it's "gethuman.com", I forgot, but it has a lot of MAJOR businesses and the "Tricks" to get around "voice mail jail."

JJ

8. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Well the first problem was there was no email address to be found. After I received their reply that it was out of warranty so tough-- I did exactly what you suggested and have followed up on it here and at Good Sam. They did not reply to the email I sent them. I gave them a few days to respond and nothing. I have never seen a company that was as hard to get in touch with as these people. I tried everything to get a phone number with a person or an email address and nada. It is almost like they are trying to hide from their customers. The repair shop said they had experienced the same problems!

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Dec 11 2009, 09:49 AM) [snapback]20316[/snapback]

There is a web site called "gethuman.org" or maybe it's "gethuman.com", I forgot, but it has a lot of MAJOR businesses and the "Tricks" to get around "voice mail jail."

JJ

Yes, that is a very good site. (It is .com) and another good site is dialahuman.com.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Hey Bud, what was the name of the RV repair shop in Summerfiled. I have just fired my shop (Nickles in Eustis) and am looking for a new good shop for routine repairs. If you are heading North, be careful for the snow. We left last year aroung Feb 15 and had to stay along the Gulf all the way to Mexico to avoid the snow. Good Luck

I lube my steps before each trip with a spray lube the recommend. Also slides.

11. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Lindsey-- It is American Pro in Summerfield. Always prompt-- but as pointed out not cheap

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I know exactly where that is (looked them up on Yahoo maps). I might give them try. I could not find a webpage. Do they do routine service? I am having those radioactive seeds put in om prostrate on 12/23 (Merry Christmas) and hope to be going on a 3 month trip and need to get routine service and a few little things.

13. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Kwikee is the builder of most, if not all of the power steps in motorhomes today. I can't think of anyone else who makes one. If you follow this link you can find service information.
    http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html#steps

I have had excellent support from them on the one time when I had a problem.

14. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

I hope the operation goes well. I'll put you in my prayers!

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Dec 12 2009, 12:14 PM) [snapback]20330[/snapback]

I know exactly where that is (looked them up on Yahoo maps). I might give them try. I could not find a webpage. Do they do routine service? I am having those radioactive seeds put in om prostrate on 12/23 (Merry Christmas) and hope to be going on a 3 month trip and need to get routine service and a few little things.

15. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Thank You. Lots of men have had it and done well. We caught it real early. All the men in my family have had prostrate cancer. We caught it very early and are treating it very agressively. The procedures are pretty brutal (at least so far). I think they should be used instead of waterboarding in Gitmo. I'd have told them anything. Thank You

16. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Lindsay,

Good luck and I hope everything works well and better than the Kwikee steps. Lots of men find this problem from time to time. We have talked to groups of men and all had good luck with the seed treatment. Pays to run the PSA test each year.

One more note. Not all steps are made by Kwikee. One we have work on air pressure and all the years of use, no problems. Close the door and steps lift up and close if engine is running. Shut off engine and they open up.

17. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Lindsey-- best of luck with the treatment-- you will be in our prayers. yes they do routine service. prices seem about like Camping World. A number of people here in The Villages, use the Wal-Mart on 42 in Oxford for oil changes. very reasonable.

18. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I thought places in the Villages worked only on Golf Carts. LOL