Bad Rv Park - Dec/07 Trailer Life Mag.

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by jbuck406, Nov 17, 2007.

1. jbuck406

jbuck406
    Expand Collapse

A couple recently stayed at "Mammoth Mountain" RV Park
    Reno, Nevada. They paid their $39 only to find out the
    park had no water. The Mgmt refused to refund any money.
    This in the December - 07 issue of "Trailer Life" page 12
    under "RV action line". Everybody needs to remember this
    place and "Stay Away!" ;)

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jbuck406 @ Nov 17 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]9170[/snapback]

A couple recently stayed at "Mammoth Mountain" RV Park
    Reno, Nevada. They paid their $39 only to find out the
    park had no water. The Mgmt refused to refund any money.
    This in the December - 07 issue of "Trailer Life" page 12
    under "RV action line". Everybody needs to remember this
    place and "Stay Away!" ;)

If you go to the "Amenities" page of the Mammoth Mountain RV Park which is located in Mammoth Lake, California....not Reno, Nevada, they tell you when the temperature drops in the Fall they do not offer water hookups, but do offer water to fill your RV up.

Sounds like this couple didn't do their homework very well. And, I certainly wouldn't "Stay Away" from this park just based on that.

http://www.mammothrv.com/ameneties.htm

3. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

Another unfortunate example of an ignorambus giving a bad review because of their mistake. Yes, even in Nevada, water will freeze when tempatures drop below 32.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I live in Canada and would never dream of expecting water to be turned on in a campground in December--however I think it would be fair if the campgrounds offered a reduced price during times when they can not provide full services.

If I knew how to set up a poll on a topic I'd do it!

5. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Nov 18 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]9184[/snapback]

I live in Canada and would never dream of expecting water to be turned on in a campground in December--however I think it would be fair if the campgrounds offered a reduced price during times when they can not provide full services.

If I knew how to set up a poll on a topic I'd do it!

They never said they were at the campground in December. The letter jbuck is referring to is in the December 07 issue which comes out the first part of November. That means TL probably got the letter about August to have it published for the November mailing. The people writing the letter said they recently stayed at the park which one could then assume would have been June, July, or August.
    When you go to the campground's ameneties page they list 115 sites with water and 47 with full hookups which one would assume also includes water. Assuming the letter was written in June, July or August to make the November 07 issue for mailing then the timeframe wouldn't be in the fall or winter.
    The letter writer said they weren't told when they check in there wasn't any water. The campground owner responded they were temporarily out of water and said they had a sign posted stating there was no water. No explanation was given as to the size or location of said sign.
    Sounds like the campground owner should have done a better job by explaining their problem when new people arrived instead of relying on a sign posted somewhere of undescribed size and location and then just assuming everyone sees their sign.

Reading the reviews at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Calif...moth_Lakes.html it appears complaints about staff attitude and indifference is one common complaint by quite a few.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I have stayed at RV parks that require you to use heat tape during Oct through March. I bought heat tape, but never got the hang of it. So, if it's winter and cold, I just fill up my onboard tank and use that for water. Yes, you have to stand out in the cold every three days (well, it's every three days for me.....), but it only takes 15 minutes.....

JJ :ph34r:

7. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Imagine that, "dirt and pine needles" in a forest park.

Oy vey.

I concur. Most likely, the camper didn't do his/her homework. But letters to the editor about nice places with great services don't sell.

8. leftyf

leftyf
    Expand Collapse

The letter writer said they weren't told when they check in there wasn't any water. The campground owner responded they were temporarily out of water and said they had a sign posted stating there was no water. No explanation was given as to the size or location of said sign.
    Sounds like the campground owner should have done a better job by explaining their problem when new people arrived instead of relying on a sign posted somewhere of undescribed size and location and then just assuming everyone sees their sign.

Thanks Wadcutter,

You just made my point. Staff attitude and indifference is quite common at these places. I've stayed at some great places...and I've stayed at some that were a crime against humanity. When the locals of a town tell you about the wonderful campgrounds just 3 miles from where you are staying...it might be a smart thing to pay attention.

There are tons of places to get information about campgrounds. TL, until this year I think, did not tell you if a campground was open 365 a year. Woodall's has a lot of seasonal locations. But, seasonal means April to Oct someplaces.
    March to November others...and I've got one that is open 10.5 months out of the year. All their sites are seasonal. They shut the place down for 6 weeks during the holidays. Great for them, horrible if you are working from your RV and the next place that's open is 50 miles away.

As far as the water thing goes, some have water all year with temps reaching as low as 10-15 below zero. Others shutdown 7 days after the temperature first hits freezing. In Woodalls and TL sometimes this is listed and sometimes it is not.

It's simple to criticize...and really tough when you are on the receiving end of no water...or no AC allowed. There's still plenty of parks out there with 30amp and below power. I got notes on those too.

Finally, all reviews are subjective. But, I know I'm going to HAVE to stay at a campground. I've got no other choice closer than 100 miles. Then, I want to see ALL the bad reviews. I want to see them first to see if there is a common theme among the complaints. One or two whiners doesn't mean much...but, if there are a lot...or there are 5 reviews and 2 of them are unhappy...guess who'll carry more weight?