Best in southeast Maine

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rafi, May 20, 2004.

1. rafi

rafi
    Expand Collapse

HELO!
    I will like to get your opinion on those 3 campground... We are looking for something nice with space between each neighbor, clean bathroom and hot showers, a pool and not to far from the beach of old orchard! We are a young family with a baby (21month) so we need something calm at night!!!!!!!!!!

Our 3 choice are: Wild Acres Family camping Resort
    Powder Horn Family camping
    Paradise Park Resort

Thanks for your help!
    If anyone is looking for something in Québec Canada I can help back!

Rafi

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

I have been to Powderhorn and Wild Acres.

Our favorite campground in the area is Bayleys Campground which is only about a mile or 2 north od Powderhorn. Another campground that we looked at and liked but never stayed was hide in pines.

Bayley's just has a lot to do and is in a great location.

Powderhorn and Wild Acres are owned by the same people or the same family. Both have a good number of seasonal campers. at Powderhorn you do not know who is seasonal and who is not, at Wild Acres, you know because the seasonals let you know it, we felt very unwelcome there.

Wild Acres was nice at first but got very boring for the kids as there is not much for them to do. The walk to the beach out the back gate is longer than advertised but we did use it to see the fireworks one night. Powderhorn was nicer for us and we enjoyed the pools there. Some sites are close but the bathrooms are clean, there are more bathrooms at Powderhorn.

Good luck

3. Tooder

Tooder
    Expand Collapse

:blink: I know it is a little late to post on this but my family and I would not recommend Powderhorn for a quiet stay. My son, daughter-in-law and new 4 month grandson stayed there with us this summer (2004) and the noise and rudness was horrible. The place is a zoo to say the least. I suggest reading the campground reviews for Powderhorn before staying there. The other campground Wild Acres owned by the same people would be the same situation. Overcrowded and the customer is always wrong.
    ****News**** The owners of Powderhorn recently purchased Hid'n Pines.

Our suggestion is to find a campground on the outskirts of Old Orchard and make the drive. You won't be hit with overinflated charges to stay and will help to offset the parking fees downtown in Old Orchard Beach. As far as the ocean, we also suggest for a nice day at the beach itself would be to visit one of the smaller nearby beaches instead. The boulevard is nice at Old Orchard but the crowds aren't that great for young families with small children all of the time.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law swear by Baileys but they are very expensive and you pay for everything.

4. Roger from Vermont

Roger from Vermont
    Expand Collapse

We love Bayleys. Only one half mile from a beautiful 10 mile beach. Three pools ,restaurant, store and good family entertainment by the pool. Lots to do in the area. The pull thrus are close. Fire rings at all sites except the overflow lot.