Best Maine Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by k, Apr 21, 2003.

1. k

k
    Expand Collapse

We were told that http://www.campmaine.com/loonecho/ is a good place. We were wondering where others have been and what is the nicest. W/O too many seasonals, Drunks, etc. .....

Thanks
    k :huh:

2. beachcamper

beachcamper
    Expand Collapse

There are a lot of good ones. If you are in the Camden/Rockport area, Megunticook campground by the sea is nice. Its a quiet, wooded campground with nice facilities and clean bathrooms. There aren't any permanents there as far as I remember either. It really is a quiet campground so you don't have to worry about drunks etc. Quiet but civilized - full hookups, cable, heated pool. If you're willing to take a short walk there is a path that goes down to a little sitting area that overlooks the ocean, and ts not too far from Lake Megunticook where you can boat or have a picnic and not too far from the ports of Camden & Rockport where you can catch a sailboat or get a good meal. Of the 3 areas we've been to this our favorite.
    We went up to Bar Harbor, but found the area to be a little too touristy - nice to visit for a day, but not relaxing enough for us.
    We have also stayed at the Sea View campground in Wells (just south of Kennebunkarea). This was nice too, but its a little more crowed area. Good restaurants in the area also.
    Hope I have helped some

3. Trog

Trog
    Expand Collapse

We stayed Blueberry Pond in Freeport. It was a nice campground , the road getting to it was dirt, but wasn't a real problem. The sites were level, with grass and sand (pad was sand). We didn't use the bathrooms so I can't really comment on them. The staff was very nice. We also stayed at Bar Harbor KOA, it was really nice and clean. Not many trees around the sites but they have a real nice area to watch the sunset, with chairs and grills. Also shuttle comes by the park, of course alot of tourists.

4. Jen

Jen
    Expand Collapse

A great area for families is the Saco/Old Orchard/Scarboro and if your not into the busy type campgrounds, I recommend the Saco KOA in Route 1. Its far enough off of 1 where you don't hear the traffic too bad (we were towards the back so I can't say for the sites near the entrance), however, this is a gem of a campground for the area. There is a neat little playground, they offer kids movies in a make-shift cute theatre, (typical disney type movies), have different kinds of family style meals or ice cream sundaes, or one Sunday morning while we were there they had homemade blueberry pancakes that were fabulous. There is also a nice pool. Not a lot of things going on but enough...and very nicely run. I did hear the owner was thinking of selling, I truly hope not because I was really impressed and look forward to going back this year.

5. MaineCamping

MaineCamping
    Expand Collapse

Most campgrounds that are maintained by the State of Maine are nice. Two in particular, Lamoine State Park and Camden Hills State Park are nice. Both have new and very clean bathroom/showers.

http://www.campwithme.com

6. rver

rver
    Expand Collapse

In BarHarbor area is a KOA campground that has a number of sites on the ocean. One in particular is on a point and the ocean is lapping at your front door. Ask for that site if you go. The campgrounds all are serviced by a bus that takes you into the Arcadia National Park. Yes, there are tourists but you are a tourist so ......

7. Guest_Melissa

Guest_Melissa
    Expand Collapse

We've stayed at Powder Horn in Old Orchard. Very nice campground but a bit commercial. They have a lot to do for the kids, the seasonal campers are friendly and the bathrooms are spotless! They have the trolly come to the campground so you could catch that to take you to the ocean, but the ocean isn't that far away.

8. Jane

Jane
    Expand Collapse

:D If you are going to be around Belfast, Camden area, Searsport Shores Camping Resort is a must visit. A great ocean view, beautiful flower gardens and a very friendly atmosphere are just a few of the perks. If you are there during peak season, their lobster bake is to die for!! I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

9. Jane

Jane
    Expand Collapse

We visited the Narrows Camping Resort in Bar Harbor and have never been treated so cold in our camping stays. The lots are small, not level and very close to your neighbor. For the money spent, Wal Mart parking lot would be much friendlier.

10. Guest_Patty

Guest_Patty
    Expand Collapse

I just read Jane's comment on the Narrows Camping Resort. We just stayed at another campground owned by the same person. Patten Pond Camping Resort in Ellsworth, Me. The atmosphere here was the same. The workampers were there only to pass the time and collect their money. It was simply a place to park your rig. The employees were not helpful in any way and you could hear them "partying" in the evening around their campfire. This is a definite " NO " on our return list.

11. Karen

Karen
    Expand Collapse

;) I just spent 2 days at the Mt. Desert Narrows CG and found it to be EXCELLENT! The facilities were clean; the staff accommodating; the sites were not especially commodious or level, but the showers were hot and clean. Everything was fine. What was wrong, Jane? The Shuttle to Bar Harbor and Acadia as prompt.

12. ksyp

ksyp
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I was k and now am regestered as ksyp.
    Did not get to Maine last year so we are looking to go this year. I think we have it narrowed down to the following:

http://www.southarm.com/
    http://www.littleponderosa.com/
    http://www.polandspringcamp.com/
    http://www.campmaine.com/whisperingpines/

This is our big camping week. We live on Long Island NY so we do not care much about the sea shore, and prefer the trees and lakes.

We want to go some place really nice!

So what do you folks think.

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

13. Judi

Judi
    Expand Collapse

KSYP - If you like wooded, remote and quiet - go to Balsam Woods campground. It is near Abbott Village, mid-state, south of Moosehead Lake. It was wonderful - we were there in 2001. For the better part of a week we were the only ones in the back section of the campground - farthest spot back. We had a pop-up at the time and the only other campers were in larger RVs near the front of the CG. We were totally alone - (in fact, I was a little scared the first night - it was very dark and very remote). But we lay at night listening to the loons on the lake 1/8 mile behind us and I loooooved it!! I would go back in a minute, although now we have a TT and would probably have to stay up front more. Owners were friendly and great - blueberry pancake breakfasts (we went in late AUg during blueberry season). Once Labor Day weekend hit - it filled up. But once the weekend was over, we had the last few days to ourselves again. You're only 25 mi from Moosehead Lake and Baxter State Park - great place to hike or just drive through - we saw several moose here - up close and personal!..

Judi

14. ksyp

ksyp
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: Judi,
    That place sounds nice, I will think about that for the future. We booked South Arm, it sounds really nice. We will report back to let everyone know.

Thanks.

15. Guest

Expand Collapse

Seaview Campground in Eastport, ME is the greatest. You have the most amazing views of the Passamoquoddy Bay the the Fundy islands of Campbobello and Deer Island, New Brunswick. Very, very clean, nice resturant, entertainment. We have enjoyed staying there for several seasons. Meet the nicest people.

16. Camper Man

Camper Man
    Expand Collapse

I would agree with Balsam Woods in Abbot Village, ME. We have stayed there 3 times in the back sites (no sewer hook up) with our TT. The fall color is great in late Sept./early Oct. Hearing the loons is a great background and the scent from the fir trees is wonderful. If in the back w/o sewer hookups, you'll want to use the CG restrooms which are clean but only one shower for men and women each. Not sure how they do with only 2 showers when they get busy. Not a problem when we have gone--but wonder how it works at the peak of their camping season. New owners in the past 2 or so years. They were adding more full hook up to sites in Fall 2004 when we were there. I highly recommend Balsam Woods for fall camping. You MUST go to Baxter State Park when in ME. Beautiful wilderness--great place to see moose up close.

17. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

If you want to stay right on the oceanfront in a first class RV Park, you cannot do better than The Moorings near Belfast, and within a short dirve of Camden and Rockport. Great views and great people. Check out their site. Even though a previous post recommend the Seaview Campground in Eastport, we strongly disagree. This place was crowded and was a dump. Try the Moorings. You will like it. :D

18. PJinNH

PJinNH
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ksyp @ Feb 26 2004, 08:24 PM)
    Ok, I was k and now am regestered as ksyp.
    Did not get to Maine last year so we are looking to go this year. I think we have it narrowed down to the following:

http://www.southarm.com/
    http://www.littleponderosa.com/
    http://www.polandspringcamp.com/
    http://www.campmaine.com/whisperingpines/

This is our big camping week. We live on Long Island NY so we do not care much about the sea shore, and prefer the trees and lakes.

We want to go some place really nice!

So what do you folks think.

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

We've stayed at Little Ponderosa last year and are planning on camping there this summer for two weeks. It was a well run campground...heck, I could tell you all about it , but I already posted a review for it..chk the reviews :D ! Picture below (if this works) was taken at Ponderosa. n

Attached Files: