Best Pet-friendly Campgrounds In South-east Us

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mck0009, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mck0009

mck0009
    Expand Collapse

Because my husband is a roofer we have to travel when the snow flies. We have two weeks this year for our vacation and for the first time we don't have a hockey tournament to go to. So we are going to take our trailer (Coyote KZ 16' hybrid) and go south! We live in southern Ontario. I figure South Carolina, Georgia or Florida will be good. Somewhere to warm our bones! :lol:

Going along with us will be our 2 dogs. It is therefore absolutely a must that the campground be pet friendly. Our Mal is an outdoor dog and would not tolerate sleeping in the trailer. When we camp, she usually sleeps on a line run between 2 trees. Our other dog sleeps in the trailer. They are always leashed except when in off-leash areas and even then we don't visit them when there are other dogs there because it is just too stressful. But we do like them to have a romp when no one else is around.

We really enjoy tent camping but since we got our trailer last year we are coming to appreciate the comforts of a camper. The hybrid really gives the feeling of the outdoors and camping without the hassles and inconvenience of tents.

So what we would be looking for is the best park having a happy medium between tent camping and RV'ing. We like our space - especially since every time the dogs make a peep I feel I have to shush them so the less distractions around, the better. We also need a couple trees around to put up a line between for our dog (and a campground that will allow her to sleep outside).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Michelle :)

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I don't know of any specific parks that would seem to suit your needs. I think you might do better at state parks or other campgrounds that encourage tenting. Those places usually have more room between sites and, since people do tent there, they wouldn't have much problem with your having an outside dog with you. Good luck!

3. lauriefla

lauriefla
    Expand Collapse

Most State Parks do allow pets, the website www.reserveamerica.com will have most of the areas you are interested in, and which campsites are available. Many of them will list the actual dimensions of the site, so you know which site to pick. Some parks are not site specific, and you will be able to select from a group of them when you arrive at a park.
    If your dog will not sleep inside the trailer with you, I might suggest that you get him trained to sleep in a kennel of some sort, outside. You will not be allowed to leave your dog unattended outside at most of the campsites that I know of, most allow just a short period of time (30 minutes) even inside a camper. This means, a very short jaunt to the beach, or to sightsee, even within the park itself.
    Having an outdoor kennel is much for his protection as it is for others. Most wildlife is nocturnal, and your dog is likely to be awakened at night by critters..... raccoons, dear, skunks, bears, etc. Its likely that your dog might have something to 'say' about his nighttime company..... so I would think that it would be best if he could learn to sleep inside. Barring that, at the least, I would suggest a kennel at night where he would be safe in case some of the wildlife isn't so 'friendly.'

Hope this helps.

If you have questions about specific state parks, I might be able to answer some questions, I hve camped in NY, WV, SC, Virginia, Ga, PA, Delaware, Maryland, state parks. My choice for camping is also to be in the 'wildlife' someone and not be parking lot camping on top of others. GA state parks are very nice, and well kept. We stayed right by the ocean last summer in VA, and had a totally secluded site. Some states also have separate websites, and you can make reservations, not through reserve america.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Very few commercial campgrounds will allow you to leave your dog outside when you are inside the trailer. Also, as a warning, parts of Florida have a bad flea problem and a heartworm problem. As an earlier poster said, we do have a lot of nocturnal critters here (racoons, armadillos, possums, coyotes, and, yes, bears....plus if you're near a lake or river, there might be gators and they've been known to attack dogs - I know from personal experience as my mother lost a leashed dog to a gator - ) and they don't hibernate.

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

We spend 200-250 nights out in our motorhome each year (commercial,private, corp of engineers, state parks) in FL,GA,NC,SC,AL,IN,OH,KY. I do not remember staying anywhere that did not state in printed rules that dogs could not be tied outside when owners were not out with them. I would be afraid that a dog tied in the woods would be an attractive target to wandering coyotes, bears, or alligators. JMO.

7. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Try 4 paws kingdom in rutherfordton NC.