Best State Parks, Mid-atlantic, Penn, Ny?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by ontariogirl, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

We are going down to Assateague State Park next summer. Gone 30 days, so lots of time to try different places. Does anyone know some other nice campgrounds in that area, or near Highway 81, or in the Penn/Maryland area? We will be going along the 81 up to Canada. Any suggestions? Private campgrounds are great too, we just wanted to try a couple of state parks. Thanks so much for your ideas. :rolleyes:

2. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I can't help you with stops along the way, but you will enjoy Assateauge Is. We have been there quite a few times. We had to stay in the National Park, we had a dog with us. Make sure you bring bug repellent, the green heads and mosquitoes will carry you away.
    Enjoy, there is a ton of stuff to do and see there. Bob

There is Wellesly Is. State park, it is on the beginning of 81 coming into NY from Canada, right on the St Lawrence River, probably to close to where your from to help. It is a great campground though.

3. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Bob. Yes, after I attempted to book the State Park today, realized there is a dog problem.... Will try the National Park, but have to wait a couple months to book online. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

The national park is dry camping. They do allow generators on certain loops, just the bay side area, I think. Make sure you bring the shot records for the dog.
    We camped on the ocean side, short walk over the dune to the ocean. They do have rest rooms and showers in the loop. The loops are not that big. If you are going to be tenting there are some nice walk in sites on the ocean side.
    It is a great area, with the ponies wandering around and the small deer, hiking trails, bike trails and a dune buggy trail down the island.

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

If you are interested in Civil War history, how about Gettysburg? We stayed at Artillery Ridge Campground (which has horse stables on site), and had a great time exploring the area.

This is southern Pennsylvania, below Harrisburg.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to take the ferry over to Tangier Island. We spent the night and it was very interesting.

7. mamawjudy

mamawjudy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ontariogirl @ Oct 20 2010, 01:07 PM) [snapback]24646[/snapback]

We are going down to Assateague State Park next summer. Gone 30 days, so lots of time to try different places. Does anyone know some other nice campgrounds in that area, or near Highway 81, or in the Penn/Maryland area? We will be going along the 81 up to Canada. Any suggestions? Private campgrounds are great too, we just wanted to try a couple of state parks. Thanks so much for your ideas. :rolleyes:
    Castaways in Berlin Md is wonderful!! Nice sites, friendly staff and shuttle that takes you to the beach! :D My favorite campground!

8. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Treasure Beach in Fenwick Island DE over Memorial Day this year - spent a day at Assateague, loved it. Not sure I'd want to camp there though - I prefer full hookup when I can get it. If you're good with the dry camping, then I have to say Assateague is pretty cool with the Ponies and the au natural beaches.