Between Salt Ste Marie & Montreal

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by JJH3rd, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JJH3rd

JJH3rd
    Expand Collapse

[SIZE=14pt]We plan to travel along the Trans-Canada Highway (17) between Sault St. Marie and Montreal and would appreciate some suggestions on places to stop overnight or stay a couple of nights, depending on the local attractions. I've used this and other sites on the Internet to investigate potential places and have found very little or conflicting reports on RV camps between Sault Ste Marie and Ottawa. We will be in our 2005 National Dolphin with a tow so we can easily dry camp but would like suggestions as to where that would be worthwhile.

Any information and guidance would e welcome.

JJ
    [/SIZE] B)

2. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJH3rd,

Welcome to RV Park Reviews. There are several Ontario Provincial parks along your route, they are like State Parks, but have no individual water hookups and most have only 30 amp service. You can check them out here:
    http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/ont_map.html

Be advised that they have mostly smaller back in sites and electric hookups may be far from your site, a 30 amps extension is a must! I've camped in Samuel de Champlain, Driftwood and Fitzroy in the area, and to my knowledge only Driftwood has pull-through sites long enough for you.

You may also want to go through Algonquin Park, it does have all kinds of sites but is very popular for outdoors enthusiasts so reservations are a must, and depending on the time of your travel it might be booked out already.

Private campground operators in Ontario have their website here:
    http://www.campgrounds.org/Home.aspx?PageI...enu-menuItem000

I've camped in Sid Turcotte Park, Mattawa, and it was ok, but that was quite a few years ago, I don't know the present state of the place.

In the Ottawa area Sleepy Cedars and Poplar Grove are better choices, but nothing to brag about. If road noise does not disturb you the municipal campground seems to be good, but I have no personal experience with it. Their website seems to be down at present.

In general I would like to remind you to prepare for BUGS in major quantities between Sault-Sainte-Marie and Ottawa. Have you picked your campground for Montréal already?

Have fun!