Beware Driftwood Campground, Clermont, Nj

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by gonefishin, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gonefishin

gonefishin
    Expand Collapse

This place is atrocious and a huge ripoff for campers.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!

We got into our cabin and were immediately swooped on by yellow jackets that had set up shop inside.

We tried to kill the ones that didn't fly away with a fly swatter and our fly swatter went right through the paper thin windows.

Maintenance came by with a piece of cardboard and some duct tape. That was their solution to the broken window.

In addition, the gas grill supplied had a malfunctioning ignitor, which is a huge fire hazard. Maintenance said there was nothing they could do and if we wanted to cook out we had to take our chances match-lighting it! Other cabins around us had similar, and worse, problems with the grills.

The showers didn't work at all. The showertrols were nearly all broken and the bathroom hygiene was absolutely disgusting. We found bodily fluids on the floor of the showers, clogged toilets, and cigarette ashes everywhere in the bathrooms.

Despite postings all over the pools that alcohol and smoking were not allowed, there were people walking around with open containers of booze and smoking openly (in some cases right near huge propane tanks marked NO SMOKING). Oh, and no lifeguards at the pool either.

When we went to check out, they had the nerve to keep our security deposit for the window fiasco, and threatened to call the cops if we complained about it. They also said they would charge our credit cards whatever they thought was necessary to cover any additional costs they might find AFTER WE LEFT.

Needless to say, we cancelled our credit cards as soon as we left.

The people who run this joint are definitely scam-artists. They prey on out of state vacationers and take advantage wherever they can.

If there is a campground association or investigation board, they need to look into this dump.

0 stars rating.

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

We're going to the Cape May area later this summer and while we were looking into the campgrounds, Driftwood was one that I called for information and I actually hung up on the person...I swear they must have been drunk. I kept asking questions about their cabins and she just kept babbling on about something I could not even understand...and then finally the only words I understood her saying is Do you want a reservation, pay in full now with a credit card...sorry, but I decided if that was their customer service, I was going elsewhere.