Big Meadow RV Park in Townsend, TN

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CDB, Jul 25, 2005.

1. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

I read the recent review for Big Meadow and it seems the author had an unfortunate time with the owner regarding their dogs. From what I remember, it was the only place they could find on short notice.

In the future, I'd like to recommend Tremont Hills, also in Townsend. We stayed there last May and had a great time. My review is probably the most recent one.

I never stayed at Big Meadow but we did drive thru just to compare other campgrounds in the area. It is a big meadow with not much shade and all pull thru sites. Seems to cater to the 40 foot plus RV's where people stay inside with the air conditioner running. To each his own, but what I am getting at is that since you had a pop-up there might have been some unfair bias against you. Tremont would be a tight fit for some monster rigs and the non full hook-up section had quite a few vacancies when we were there so you wouldn't bother anyone.

On a side note, we've left our dog in our travel trailer before. I know this is common and it is rarely a problem if you leave food, water, and heat or air running. Just the same, when we plan to stay at a private campground we always ask if that is okay before amking a reservation.

Hope your next trip is better.
    Christopher

2. DrSus

DrSus
    Expand Collapse

We're staying at Big Meadow right now for six nights, and we think the campground has the best facilities for our 40-foot motor home. On a previous visit to the Townsend, TN, area, we toured several campgrounds and picked Tremont Hills as the most attractive. Last fall we stayed there. We did not have 50 amp service, and it was difficult to maneuver our big rig into its space. It was extremely difficult to get it through the narrow front gate on the highway. Big Meadow is more easily accessible and has premium pull through sites with concrete pads and patios, 50 amp service, WI-FI, and many cable channels. The owners are friendly and helpful -- which we did not find at Tremont Hills. Big Meadow's rules are clear and are based on common sense and courtesy.

If you read the other comments on Big Meadow, you will find that most people feel it is an excellent campground. Sometimes people with pets do not understand that other campers do not enjoy their pets as much as they do. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats and choose to leave them at home with a pet sitter. Most of our camping experiences with other people's pets have been fine, but sometimes pet owners are very inconsiderate. Leaving 3 dogs -- including a full grown Great Dane -- alone in a pop up (or any other RV, for that matter) is not being considerate of the dogs, much less the other campers.