Black Flush Backing Up

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John WD Smith, Mar 24, 2014.

1. John WD Smith

John WD Smith
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    when I used my blackflush today the plumbing inside the 5th wheel leaked. Going on line people talked about the vacuum valve inside, but no suggestions what I do with that. Anybody had any issues like this?

2. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

When you say "backflush", do you mean the tank flush or does your rig have some way of flushing back up the outlet of the tank?

Ours has a tank flushing connection that sprays water into the black tank at the top of the tank. We have never had a problem with ours, but I have seen several reports over the years of folks whose black tank flush has clogged up. Apparently, the sprayer inside the top of the tank has little holes in it to create a spray, and those holes can get clogged up. The fix is to remove the sprayer from the top of the tank and clean out those holes. Then simply reattach the sprayer to the tank and seal it with silicone.

Although I have never removed ours, the sprayer is pretty accessible on our black tank.

There is a check valve in the flush line to keep an overfilled black tank from spewing out that connection. I suppose that valve could be stuck on yours.

3. John WD Smith

John WD Smith
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Mar 25 2014, 10:59 AM) [snapback]36017[/snapback]

When you say "backflush", do you mean the tank flush or does your rig have some way of flushing back up the outlet of the tank?

Ours has a tank flushing connection that sprays water into the black tank at the top of the tank. We have never had a problem with ours, but I have seen several reports over the years of folks whose black tank flush has clogged up. Apparently, the sprayer inside the top of the tank has little holes in it to create a spray, and those holes can get clogged up. The fix is to remove the sprayer from the top of the tank and clean out those holes. Then simply reattach the sprayer to the tank and seal it with silicone.

Although I have never removed ours, the sprayer is pretty accessible on our black tank.

There is a check valve in the flush line to keep an overfilled black tank from spewing out that connection. I suppose that valve could be stuck on yours.

Thanks Dave, any idea how to access the sprayer? Also I can see the flush line valve under the sink, but how do I "unstick" that?
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

I can't be much help. I'm afraid.

On our rig, the waste tanks are in an accessible basement compartment, so access to the sprayer is obvious.

If the check valve has failed, you probably need to replace it. I'll bet it's in a hard-to-reach location, though, right?

If you can get to the top of the black tank, an alternative is to simply replace your current flush line with a new one. I had one installed on the fiver we had when we started fulltiming. Something like this:
    No-Fuss Flush
    or this:
    Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Try blowing the line out with compressed air?