C.g In Labrador Canada

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by danshula, Mar 17, 2006.

1. danshula

danshula
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    Did anyone take the trip with a trailer from Baie-Comeau to Labrador city and to Happy Valley Goose Bay on HWY 389 and Hwy 500.
    What is the road like? where and how are the C.G along this roads?any hook ups?
    Thanks

2. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

If you are the rugged outdoors type, you will love it. Our roads in Quebec are bad even when they are blacktop, so imagine hundreds of kilometers of gravel. The road will bring you to the Manicouagan 5 power station, the largest multiple-arch-and-buttress dam in the world. There are free guided tours there, but most in French. Campgrounds are few and far between, you might have to boondock (no problem if wilderness doesn't scare you). The last organized campground on the Quebec side is at Manicouagan 2 power station, about 60 minutes out of Baie Comeau. I have not been to the Labrador side of the trip, but from what I heard, the Newfoundland and Labrador Government has spent a lot of money on upgrading the roads. Remember, they are still gravel roads. Happy Valley/Goose Bay is an important emergency airport on the flightpath from Europe to the heart of the North American continent with a NATO low level flying school airbase. The official Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism website is trustworthy and well done. (I have been to the island part of the province.) You will find the people in both provinces extremely helpful and friendly and fun to be with, but for the Quebec side it is a good idea to brush up on your French. Most people you will come into contact with as a tourist will have at least a basic knowledge of English, but will appreciate your trying to say at least "Bonjour". So, if you are ready to take on the roads, and you love wild, remote areas, this trip is for you.