Caddo Lake State Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by fanman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. fanman

fanman
    Expand Collapse

I asked the question if anyboby knew anything about Backwater Jacks RV park near Jefferson, Texas. There was no reply.

Is anyone familiar with Caddo Lake State Park aslo near Jefferson aslo.
    Would this be a nice palce to spend some time?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have friends who love it, and they go every chance they get, but I have no personal knowledge of it or even what's there.

3. sonflower

sonflower
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fanman @ Apr 7 2011, 09:28 AM) [snapback]25782[/snapback]

I asked the question if anyboby knew anything about Backwater Jacks RV park near Jefferson, Texas. There was no reply.

Is anyone familiar with Caddo Lake State Park aslo near Jefferson aslo.
    Would this be a nice palce to spend some time?

We just returned from Caddo Lake State Park. We were there 4/7 through 4/10 2011. We are tent campers. We were in 31 and 32. I would be happy to answer any questions for you.

4. fanman

fanman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(sonflower @ Apr 11 2011, 05:12 PM) [snapback]25823[/snapback]

We just returned from Caddo Lake State Park. We were there 4/7 through 4/10 2011. We are tent campers. We were in 31 and 32. I would be happy to answer any questions for you.

We have never been to Caddo Lake SP and was just wondering about the facilities and amenities. There is a new RV Park Backwater Jacks near there and was curious about it also

5. sonflower

sonflower
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fanman @ Apr 12 2011, 08:39 AM) [snapback]25828[/snapback]

We have never been to Caddo Lake SP and was just wondering about the facilities and amenities. There is a new RV Park Backwater Jacks near there and was curious about it also

The park was constructed by the CCC in the 30's and the bathrooms, screened in cabins and out buildings have not been updated much. They are nice but not as nice as newer bathrooms in newer state parks are likely to be. For ex: the water appears be spring fed and filtered, and the hot water is hot, at night they are well lit, the stall doors lock just fine, toilet paper & soap were provided; however, it probably is not as sanitary as it should be. People were showering w/their flip flops on. I love frogs and did not mind them in the showers but other people were not near as OK w/them. (The frogs were just resting, not bothering anyone.) The restroom we used was the one next to the Park Host. The people in the camping spot across from us had a large RV and still used the park bathroom facilities....maybe theirs was broken but I am just throwing that out there.

There were activities for kids, like nature hikes and fishing. Sat am, the park had about 30 child fishing poles lined up and ready to go along the bank for the kids fishing adventure.

The boat dock and boat ramp appear to be brand new. They were very nice, the nicest my husband said he had ever used. Parking is very cramped near the boat dock on a busy weekend.

I have not hiked in this park so I can't speak to the hiking. I noticed the hiking trails are relatively short and considered "easy" level.

There is a "swamp tour" boat ride which is fun. It has been about 9 years since I took it so i don't remember specifics, but I remember the history & detail were good. The area is famous for the Caddo Indians who were peaceful & had a large thriving community in the area. It is very close to Louisiana. If you haven't seen the movie "Southern Comfort" it may be of interest to you as it was filmed in the Caddo Lake area and the scenery is 100% spot on exactly what the river and lake are like.

There is a bait / convenience store @ the entrance to the park.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to the new Bentwater Jacks park.

This area is popular with bikers (we also have a Harley Davidson) and considering the fact the state park does not allow alcohol, if Bentwater Jack's does, then call them and inquire as to when the next motorcycle rally is? So you won't be blown away by the rolling thunder of bikes all over the place compounded with consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Oh, and we have AT&T and our phones did not get any signal at all; however the kids have Verizon and Sprint and they did get both internet and cell phone service.

Have fun!