Calgary Rv Sites

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John WD Smith, Sep 4, 2013.

1. John WD Smith

John WD Smith
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Rv campsite in or near Calgary, Alberta?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

A number of years ago we stayed at Calgary West which was is in the city and Ok, but not much more. This year we wanted to be able to drive to the Royal Tyrrell Museum so we stayed southeast of the city in Mossleigh at Aspen Crossing. It was rural, but quite pleasant and was a one-hour drive to the Calgary airport. There is a park in Strathmore which would be a bit closer and where there is shopping, but I've not seen it.

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John WD Smith @ Sep 4 2013, 02:44 PM) [snapback]34694[/snapback]

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Rv campsite in or near Calgary, Alberta?

Having lived in Calgary for a while a few years ago I am familiar with most. You don't state if you are planning to visit Calgary specifically or somewhere nearby. Either way, there is but one in the city limits. Calgary West. I would avoid this one. The best on closest to the city is in Cochrane about 15 Km west of Calgary. It's called Bow River's Edge. Well laid out. Clean the last time I was there about 3 years ago. Nice playground for younger kids including a small climbing wall. Stores etc. very nearby. There is also one called Spring Hill north of Cochrane. I have not stayed there so can't comment. Stay away from Whispering Spruce just north of Calgary in Balzac. Very near highway 2 which is a very busy road way. Mostly it is full of permanents and very trashy. South of Calgary in Okotoks are few parks but I don't know if they have recovered from the severe flooding that took place earlier this year. South east of Calgary is one called Carsland Windom Provincial Park. No services but not a bad place to boondock. North East of Calgary is the small village of Irricana. I can't remember the name of the park but we spend a few weekends there while visiting friends. It was okay. If you are planning to spend time north of Calgary there are a few parks in Drumheller. Amazing Dinosaur Museum and surrounding countryside. Worth the visit.

I hope this helps.

Darrell

4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John WD Smith @ Sep 4 2013, 03:44 PM) [snapback]34694[/snapback]

I live in Cochrane and I can say that the Bow Rivers Edge campground is the best in the area by far. It is about 30 minutes to drive to down town Calgary if you need to but there are shopping malls accessible from all directions if you need them. Cochrane has decent grocery stores, good cycle tracks and walking paths along the Bow River and most things you would need for a short stay.

Because this campground is literally 5 minutes walking distance from me I have only been there visiting friends from out of town while they camped. I have visited other campgrounds around Calgary but would not recommend any of them. For my quick weekend getaways I head 50 miles north to Sundre but that is a little too far out of Calgary.

From Cochrane you are only 45 - 50 minutes from Banff, 20 minutes from Bragg Creek and about 30 mins from Kananaskis country should you wish to get into the mountains.

I stayed at Aspen Crossing in May this year. Trust me, it's a long way from anywhere if you need anything. Balzac, don't even think of it. Calgary West, never stayed but drive past every day and I wouldn't want to stay there. I have looked around the place but that is all. The other place listed for Cochrane gets mixed reviews. I store my trailer there but again, it's too close for me to want to stay there. From what I have read they share facilities with the gas station adjacent.

Hope this helps.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Sep 4 2013, 10:54 PM) [snapback]34698[/snapback]

South of Calgary in Okotoks are few parks but I don't know if they have recovered from the severe flooding that took place earlier this year.

The Oktotoks area seems to have been pretty much spared by the floods. The community of High River was still a disaster area a month ago. At the Strathmore Stampede in August there were fundraisers for the folks in High River. Despite all the flooding that had occurred a month before there was only one significant road still closed throughout the former flood zone according to Alberta 511.

6. Streamer1023

Streamer1023
    Expand Collapse

Bow RiversEdge Campground in Cochrane, NW of Calgary is beautiful.