California Self-contained

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by wmah, Aug 14, 2008.

1. wmah

wmah
    Expand Collapse

What exactly do they mean of self-contained in California?
    If I go there in a van with only a bed and a portable toilet, will they turn me away or is their definition just mean you have to be inside a rv of some sort and not a tent? I'm sure everyone thoughts are different on what is self-contained and what isn't. I leave with what I come in with minus any garbage that goes into the garbage containers that are provided and that isn't much either.

I ask this cause I'd like to camp out in the van at least one night on the coast in California when I go there at the end of March. I would like to do a state run one cause it is easier to find one with a beach wheelchair so I don't have to keep trying to pull my friends chair out of the sand. Done that one in Florida last January. I ended up getting some help from someone there that offered. I can't take the bus on this trip as the fuel bill is too much and it would take longer to get there. I am planning to do close to half the nights in the van out of the 3 week period on the trip.

2. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure that the definition of "self-contained" varies all over the place, depending on jurisdiction. For example, I know that on BLM Long Term Visitor Areas, the RV must have at least a ten-gallon waste tank. That is irrelevant to staying in state parks, county parks, public beaches, etc.

The only way to answer your question is to figure our what kind of facility you want to use then contact them for the definition.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

To me "self contained" means tour RV needs to contain all the necessities you will need because the campground does not provide any. That probably means no hookups and no other facilities (restrooms/showers) are available. I have never heard about any restriction as to what you have to have on board or what capacity things have to be, but there could be places that have certain requirements. In other words you could have a port-a-potty instead of a black water holding tank and that would be OK. Also if you brought bottled water for drinking and other uses instead of a fresh water tank that would be OK, too. To me it just means you have to make provision for all your needs, but there is no requirement as to how you do that (within reason).

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

IMHO, the words, "self contained" as it relates to a Rv, means that certain entities exist that provide a means by which one may have his/her daily needs met. Namely a dry place to sleep, in comfort, a place to store, prepare, and consume foods, a facility to use for personal hygiene with storage areas for fresh water and bodily function waste/hygiene material, and a provided area to store whatever maybe needed to exist on any given day. Now a "California self contained" maybe a whole different subject in it's definition and personally your guess is as good as mine....... This is my opinion as to what the words "self contained" mean as to what I would expect to experience as related to a Rv....

5. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wmah @ Aug 14 2008, 10:28 AM) [snapback]12764[/snapback]

What exactly do they mean of self-contained in California?
    If I go there in a van with only a bed and a portable toilet, will they turn me away or is their definition just mean you have to be inside a rv of some sort and not a tent? I'm sure everyone thoughts are different on what is self-contained and what isn't. I leave with what I come in with minus any garbage that goes into the garbage containers that are provided and that isn't much either.

I ask this cause I'd like to camp out in the van at least one night on the coast in California when I go there at the end of March. I would like to do a state run one cause it is easier to find one with a beach wheelchair so I don't have to keep trying to pull my friends chair out of the sand. Done that one in Florida last January. I ended up getting some help from someone there that offered. I can't take the bus on this trip as the fuel bill is too much and it would take longer to get there. I am planning to do close to half the nights in the van out of the 3 week period on the trip.

Who are you talking about when you say "they". You keep refering to "they"

6. wmah

wmah
    Expand Collapse

"They" is California state parks. And even some of the private campgrounds say the same thing but they often state along with the words "no conversion vans". When they state that I figure I don't want to be there anyways and I'm sure at that point I can find a hotel cheaper than them.

I'm not going to worry about it either way. I will get there if they turn my money away and me I'll pocket the money and find another spot to park for the night and just spend a few hours in a parking lot along those areas of the beach where the beach chairs are at. But it would be a nice experience to park overnight along the beach. I might be trying to relive the experience I had a few years back when I slept outside on a 4th floor deck in Fort Myers Beach Florida a few years back 3 nights in April. A cool gulf breeze all night.

7. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wmah @ Aug 15 2008, 01:56 PM) [snapback]12780[/snapback]

"They" is California state parks. And even some of the private campgrounds say the same thing but they often state along with the words "no conversion vans". When they state that I figure I don't want to be there anyways and I'm sure at that point I can find a hotel cheaper than them.

I'm not going to worry about it either way. I will get there if they turn my money away and me I'll pocket the money and find another spot to park for the night and just spend a few hours in a parking lot along those areas of the beach where the beach chairs are at. But it would be a nice experience to park overnight along the beach. I might be trying to relive the experience I had a few years back when I slept outside on a 4th floor deck in Fort Myers Beach Florida a few years back 3 nights in April. A cool gulf breeze all night.

If you are looking for the beach experience try Pismo Beach. It's the only beach in California you can actually park on the beach and camp. Most of the places that don't like older or lets just say unusual type RV's are mostly in the San Diego or Palm Springs area's. "They" are just trying to keep junkers out. I have been in some campgrounds with some conversion's that put me to shame.

Just my opinion,

8. wmah

wmah
    Expand Collapse

But does the Pismo Beach have the beach wheelchairs?
    Would I have to worry about getting stuck in the van on the beach? I only have rear wheel drive and a one wheel wonder at that.

On snow I can handle it with the van. But on sand I really don't have the experience with. I have aggressive rear tires which are really good for snow so maybe I might be alright. Please give me more info on beach driving in a van.

I was looking at the area while typing this post and Oceano Dunes SVRA looks a little more apealing as the state web site shows beach wheelchairs. I am also looking at this site of the area and I do see rear wheel drive vans out there and even a B so I maybe good there. I did look at the reviews on this site so I know what to expect before getting there.

I might have to try and catch a atv and see if I can ride one for a few minutes if I give a little gas money. I'd like to take mine but it isn't worth the effort when I wouldn't use it much.

Thanks rodman for the tip on the area it might be what we are looking for. It would make a good stop between LA and San Fransisco.

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wmah @ Aug 15 2008, 08:20 PM) [snapback]12783[/snapback]

But does the Pismo Beach have the beach wheelchairs?
    Would I have to worry about getting stuck in the van on the beach? I only have rear wheel drive and a one wheel wonder at that.

On snow I can handle it with the van. But on sand I really don't have the experience with. I have aggressive rear tires which are really good for snow so maybe I might be alright. Please give me more info on beach driving in a van.

I was looking at the area while typing this post and Oceano Dunes SVRA looks a little more apealing as the state web site shows beach wheelchairs. I am also looking at this site of the area and I do see rear wheel drive vans out there and even a B so I maybe good there. I did look at the reviews on this site so I know what to expect before getting there.

I might have to try and catch a atv and see if I can ride one for a few minutes if I give a little gas money. I'd like to take mine but it isn't worth the effort when I wouldn't use it much.

Thanks rodman for the tip on the area it might be what we are looking for. It would make a good stop between LA and San Fransisco.

I'm not sure about the handicap access. I do know if you're not equipted for it be prepared to get stuck. I have seen 4wd vehicles get stuck. There are places up and down the coast where you can stay that are very close to the beach, just a little farther up is Cambria and San Siemon. There is a real nice CG which I believe is 1st come. Go even farther is Big Sur. There are some beautiful places to stay, none however on the beach, Pismo is the only place for that. The Santa Cruz area ia also beautiful. There really aren't many places that you wouldn't enjoy on the California coast. The farther away you get from southern California the less you will pay, not to say it will be cheap. If you have the time it is a beautiful coast.

Just my opinion,