Campground Listings

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Nov 17, 2007.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I've got an older beat up campground directory because I'm too cheap to buy a new one. So I was wondering if the newer ones have started including addresses of campgrounds listed?

It would be nice to have an address to plug into the GPS and not try to second quess the sometimes inaccurate information given to find a particular campground.

Does anyone know if the CD versions of the directories are any better?

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The Woodhall's disk does not give addresses--but it does give telephone numbers. Then one can use a service such as 411.ca and use reverse lookup to get ad address. One can also use google maps to get coordinates for a gps unit.

I can't speak about the other directories, as I only have the Woodhall's--and generally only use it when I can't get "online" to check for campsites.

QUOTE(RLM @ Nov 17 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]9169[/snapback]

I've got an older beat up campground directory because I'm too cheap to buy a new one. So I was wondering if the newer ones have started including addresses of campgrounds listed?

It would be nice to have an address to plug into the GPS and not try to second quess the sometimes inaccurate information given to find a particular campground.

Does anyone know if the CD versions of the directories are any better?

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Nov 17 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]9174[/snapback]

Hi,

The Woodhall's disk does not give addresses--but it does give telephone numbers. Then one can use a service such as 411.ca and use reverse lookup to get ad address. One can also use google maps to get coordinates for a gps unit.

Guess I'll just keep the old directory. I prefer Woodall's also, but I wonder how many know that both it and TL are put out by the same organization?

Thanks for the info on the 411. That will come in handy. In the states, that site is 411.com. I previewed it this am and noticed that it doesn't always give an address for a toll free 800 number.

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, I just checked our Trailer Life. It doesn't list site address in the review...but DOES list the electronic address. Unless we're outside of Verizon Air Card reception, I generally pull up couple potential sites webpages to make a decision where we are headed. (I now add RV Park Review to the algorithm.) Have you ever used "The Next Exit" when on the road?

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Nov 30 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]9291[/snapback]

Hmmm, I just checked our Trailer Life. It doesn't list site address in the review...but DOES list the electronic address. Unless we're outside of Verizon Air Card reception, I generally pull up couple potential sites webpages to make a decision where we are headed. (I now add RV Park Review to the algorithm.) Have you ever used "The Next Exit" when on the road?

I'm computer literate, but have not heard "add RV Park Review to the algorithm." Would that be a method to split my screen into both the website and review pages?

I also have an old exit book, but don't use it much. The problem with all these books is that they are large and I don't like lugging them around. GPS on my laptop and a directory on CD is much preferred. Course now that I think about it, I could get double duty from the books by using them as leveling blocks. :)

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Dec 1 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]9300[/snapback]

Course now that I think about it, I could get double duty from the books by using them as leveling blocks. :)

I have a 2004 Good Sam Directory that serves a useful function by elevating my cat's food and water bowls to a proper height, thus reducting strain on kitty's neck and shoulders from putting head way down to eat........ Besides, "ergonimically correct" pet food dishes are in vogue now....

JJ

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

------------------------------------------
    RLM: I'm computer literate, but have not heard "add RV Park Review to the algorithm." Would that be a method to split my screen into both the website and review pages?
    -----------------------------------------

Don't know about split sceen...I just open the targeted RV park on one screen, minimize, then open RV Park Review on second screen. Toggle back and forth. ;)

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

RLM:

Actually, we've gotten triple duty out of our TL Directory and Woodall's. (1) We used them to prop open the refrigerator door while defosting, (2) as blocks under jacks when we need them, and (3) recently, we spent a couple of days with a poor relative in West Virginia. These folks did not have indoor plumbing but, rather, an outhouse, and these books came in mighty handy when using the facility.

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------
    'Beastdriver' date='Dec 3 2007:
    RLM: Actually, we've gotten triple duty out of our TL Directory and Woodall's. (1) We used them to prop open the refrigerator door while defosting, (2) as blocks under jacks when we need them, and (3) recently, we spent a couple of days with a poor relative in West Virginia. These folks did not have indoor plumbing but, rather, an outhouse, and these books came in mighty handy when using the facility.

------------------------------

Yikes! West Virginia you say. Sounds like a new twist to the Chevy Chase series of "VACATION" movies! Any dead relatives stowed aboard when you left?

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

:D :D Humor is exactly what I needed this am before starting out another long day of driving the rig.

I had no idea that a campground directory was so versatile.

Beastdriver> During the outhouse visit, do you use black and white or color pages?

11. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------
    'RLM' date='Dec 8 2007:
    :D :D Humor is exactly what I needed this am before starting out another long day of driving the rig.

-----------------------------------

Where are you heading RLM? Nasty storm heading toward the middle US. Drive careful mate.

12. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Foster Imposters: Yep, when we left, we had an effigy of Hillary in a rocking chair strapped to the top of the motorhome.

RLM:You know, I didn't notice whether the pages were black and white or color. I was so elated to finally find a use for the TL Directory, I didn't really care!