Campground Near Damascus, Va

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by busyteach, Jul 16, 2006.

1. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

We were on a roadtrip the first of July and passed through Damascus, VA. We noticed the bike trails and the quaint area in the mountains. We're middle aged and like to do a fall trip where we can leisurely (not power) bike and just hang out. Any campground recommendations in the area of Abingdon or over toward Damascus? We're looking for a day's drive from Kentucky.

2. roanokecampers

roanokecampers
    Expand Collapse

You might want to check out Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, Virginia. We have never camped there but the campground has gotten great reviews. Also, pretty close by is a state park in Dublin, Virginia which is on Claytor Lake. This campground is very near the New River Valley Trail and is great for bike riding. Lots of flat areas. I did not like Riverside Campground in Abingdon. Good luck and happy camping.

3. 5happycampers

5happycampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(roanokecampers @ Jul 24 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]4626[/snapback]

You might want to check out Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, Virginia. We have never camped there but the campground has gotten great reviews. Also, pretty close by is a state park in Dublin, Virginia which is on Claytor Lake. This campground is very near the New River Valley Trail and is great for bike riding. Lots of flat areas. I did not like Riverside Campground in Abingdon. Good luck and happy camping.

we rode thru Riverside... I would not recommend it either. We are camping at Grindstone this weekend. I believe it is fairly close to Damascus.