Campground Reviews

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by kenpatriot, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kenpatriot

kenpatriot
    Expand Collapse

If I could make a general comment about this forum's submitted camptround reviews - I really don't know what to make of some of the reviewers. Some of the nicest campgrounds I've been to usually get the poorest reviews due reasons such as: poor satellite reception, slow wifi connections, no 50 amp service, or - my favorite - "our 40-foot motor home could barely negotiate the campground road". If you are camping in a huge motorhome, and just sit in it, in the a/c watching satellite tv or surfing the internet - SHOULDN'T YOU BE IN A HOTEL ?? Why are you camping?? I camp in a pop-up, not because I can't afford something bigger, but because it offers the closest experience to a tent without sleeping on the ground. And my idea of a great campground is one that doesn't look like a campground at all, but rather, looks like just the middle of the woods. This would mean a number of things that get criticized by some of the "campers" on this forum: i.e., far distances to the restroom, "poor" lighting (I hate streetlights or any outside lights in a campground), and - heaven forbid - unlevel campsites. Whatever your point of view, the reviews would be more helpful if they generaly DESCRIBED the campground, instead of just listing a number of things the reviewer didn't like about the campground.

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kenpatriot @ Aug 3 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]12589[/snapback]

If I could make a general comment about this forum's submitted camptround reviews - I really don't know what to make of some of the reviewers. Some of the nicest campgrounds I've been to usually get the poorest reviews due reasons such as: poor satellite reception, slow wifi connections, no 50 amp service, or - my favorite - "our 40-foot motor home could barely negotiate the campground road". If you are camping in a huge motorhome, and just sit in it, in the a/c watching satellite tv or surfing the internet - SHOULDN'T YOU BE IN A HOTEL ?? Why are you camping?? I camp in a pop-up, not because I can't afford something bigger, but because it offers the closest experience to a tent without sleeping on the ground. And my idea of a great campground is one that doesn't look like a campground at all, but rather, looks like just the middle of the woods. This would mean a number of things that get criticized by some of the "campers" on this forum: i.e., far distances to the restroom, "poor" lighting (I hate streetlights or any outside lights in a campground), and - heaven forbid - unlevel campsites. Whatever your point of view, the reviews would be more helpful if they generaly DESCRIBED the campground, instead of just listing a number of things the reviewer didn't like about the campground.

Welcome aboard, kenpatriot, this is a topic that has been discussed a few times in the past and here are at least two threads that you will find other members' opinions of the topic:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/invboard/inde...?showtopic=1197

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/invboard/inde...?showtopic=1271

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

A couple of points.

1. I agree that helpful reviews are those that have the best descriptions of the parks, but I appreciate knowing about the problems that customers have in a park.

2. This site includes reviews of both campgrounds and RV parks. Would you have campgroundreviews.com prohibit reviews of RV parks? :)

3. Many of us are not "campers". My wife and I, for example, are full-time RVers. Everything we own is in the motor home. I appreciate knowing when a park is not big-rig accessible, if power sags under load, if satellite reception is problematic, if cellular service is unavailable, etc. You, with your pop-up trailer want one kind of park. We, with our rolling home, want another.

Have a good time on the road!

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, like the others said, you have to take it by the experience you hope to get. For example, I went to Paradise Point State Park (something like that) in Washington State, and it was a fantastic little getaway, except the dang interstate was built over the top of it, and believe me, the THUNDERING ROAR of vehicles just took the experience away. I had to rate it a "5." Also, when I review parks, an "8" for a state park doesn't mean the same as an "8" for a fancy-dancy RV park. I go by the experience I want at that particular point. If I'm at a State Park and I'm not going to have wireless, I adjust my expectations.

But we really don't need reviews that say, (I forgot which poster quoted this in a post, but I just crack up when I think of it....), "It rained, give it a 2....."

If you see a LONG review, most likely it's mine, I write about everything in a park.

JJ

5. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kenpatriot @ Aug 3 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]12589[/snapback]

Yup, we drive our 42' "hotel". I want to know if I'm gonna lose a $20K paint job because they don't trim the trees. I NEED WiFi, because that's how we pay our bills. I NEED 50 amps to run all of the fancy stuff my coach has. I WANT to know how good the cable/sat. is so I can TiVo my shows. We're on the road 6-7 months a year, and are considering going full time next year. After I got out of the MARINE CORPS, I swore I would never sleep in a tent again. So far I've kept my promise to myself. Now, do you full time in your pop-up, or just use it a few times a year ? Makes a big difference on how you interperate these reviews, on this site. Robbie P.S. You don't "camp" in a 42' MH, you enjoy life to the fullest !! P.P.S. Try leveling a 42' coach, on a site thats not level, so you can get your fridge to work. ;)

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We also love to travel and see the USA. We stay in State parks, County parks, COE parks, Good Sams parks or what is close to what we wish to see or tour. I like AC power and water but I can get by couple days with out it. We also have everything in MH and we are to old to sleep on the ground. I do not rate parks by number of days of rain or snow but what we see good or bad about that park. We do not sit inside and look at TV all day or talk on cell phones. Our goal is to find a nice campground to park the condo and get out and see places, then at night we sleep, and next day we start over. You will find parks that are dumps and ones that are great. We each talk about the rating before we review a park. We look at everything before we write it up. Other RV people need this information to pick places they wish to camp in. Read all reviews before you pick one. We all view everything in different ways.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We also have a motorhome and we enjoy "camping" in our "camper". We are not as young as we were when we started tenting-Rving so now some conveniences make our outings more comfortable for us at this point. To each his own.......what ever floats your boat as surely we are not all alike......thank goodness!! Have to agree that some reviews are all negative as the review relates to their experience and should be more on the physical aspects and amenities of the Cg/Resort. Opinions,opinions, we all have them and have the right to express, right or wrong, those opinions. Good luck..safe travels..enjoy your time in the outdoors wherever..

8. hypogi

hypogi
    Expand Collapse

I can see both sides of this argument. If you are full timing in a 40ft rv you are going to need certian things that a pop-up wont.

However I have read more than a few reviews that is apparent that the poster has an axe to grind with the campground. I wish there was some way that the campground owners/managers had a chance to respond to some of the reviews. I have been camping for 20 years now and I know that there are RV'ers out there who would complain even if they were given a solid gold campsite.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Different strokes for different folks seems to apply nicely here.