Campgrounds around Alexandria, VA

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Carole Murray, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Carole Murray

Carole Murray
    Expand Collapse

Visiting DC and our son this summer. Would like to find a campground close to Alexandria as close to the Huntington stop on the Metro line as possible. Any ideas?

2. abn

abn
    Expand Collapse

Travel Trailer Village at Prince William Forest Park
    in Dumfries,VA is as close to that Metro stop as you can get

B)

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Carole,

I would look at www.cherryhillpark.com a little north of DC in MD. We have been in park couple times and only problem was road noise off I-95. See write up's this site under MD - Cherry Hill. Number of people have wrote it up. Park people will take you to trains and bus stops. I do not know about the Huntington stop. You could call and ask about this stop. Park has everything.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Carole,

I will second John Blue's idea of Cherryhill. You will have to cross a bridge to get into Alexandria and it is underconstruction but it is the closest to where you want to be. Traffic is a bear in DC. If you want cheaper you can look at Bull Run in Centreville VA it is part of the park authority but it would be a long drive to get to Alexandria. I have not seen or been to the Dumfries trailer park but it is further away mileage wise.

5. aMazin

aMazin
    Expand Collapse

Cherry Hill is a good park. There is a bit of noise from the highway though. So try to get a spot away from that. The semi's use the jake brake right there. The Metro bus will pick you up at the park and take you right to the Metro sub. This worked great for us last year for a week. We bought tickets for the Metro to cover us for the week and could ride any time they were running. It was an easy system to ride and get around with.

Good luck

6. jim1632

jim1632
    Expand Collapse

Pohick Bay Regional Park is even closer to Metro than Prince William RV Village. Pohick will only have electric and water at sites.

Cherry Hill gets lots of recommendations in part because you can catch a bus at the entrance and then transfer to Metro without any driving. However, since you want to use Huntington, either Pohick Bay or Prince William will work for you and cost less. Both offer easy access to I-95.