Campgrounds in Eastern South Dakota

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by pokerman, Jun 2, 2004.

1. pokerman

pokerman
    Expand Collapse

Taking my family (3 small kids) to MN, South Dakota and a few other spots.

We are looking at driving up the eastern side of South Dakota /Western MN and looking for some nice parks to stay in, that are kid friendly and fun.

Thanks

2. pokerman

pokerman
    Expand Collapse

Any Suggestions, - How about the South Dakota State Parks in that Area? Anybody have any experiances to share?

thanks

3. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at MT RUSHMORE / HILL CITY KOA several times althought the last time was in 1996. It is a very nice park with 2 pools, hot tubs, hay rides, fishing, water slide, mini golf, bicycle rentals, and horseback riding. It is very close to Mount Rushmore. The views are simple spectacular. Here is a link.
    http://www.koa.com/where/SD/41125.htm
    I would post a review, but don't remember all of the information they require such as how many campsites (A LOT). If you like to hike, the hike to Harney Peak is a must. Be warned that it is long and strenuous, but definitely worth it.

4. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

Mt. Rushmore is on the western edge of SD, not the eastern side.

Do you know what towns you might want to visit? It would make it easier to find parks on this website or recommend them. By the way, you will be in Laura Ingalls Wilder/Little House on the Prairie territory, any one in your group love the books? The family home is open in DeSmet, SD. Very interesting history.

5. gwb36

gwb36
    Expand Collapse

Sioux Falls has a few. We stayed at one called Yogi Bear I90 exit 402. Pretty nice. Roomy easy on-off-in-out. Reasonable. Modern and not many permanents. Recalling from memory about 2 years ago.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We spend time in east side of state month ago. We found sites in Mitchell, SD near Corn Palace. The east end of state is full of parks on I-90 all the way to back to Spearfish. Wall, SD has parks close to Wall Drug Store. Signs up all over the place with RV parks that were not in our books. You should not have a problem.

7. AndersonFamily

AndersonFamily
    Expand Collapse

Two years ago we "found" Lake Carlos State Park in Western MN (Over by Alexandria). Clean facilities with a wonderful lake. Large sites (at least for our pop-up). If you can dry camp, they have outstanding sites close to the lake. Here is a link to the MN DNR Website: Lake Carlos State Park MN and to a Campground Map - we had site 114 (Photo attached).
    Short drive to the Kensington Ruinstone Museum (tourist trap - but fun and not too expensive). Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

8. 58KCb

58KCb
    Expand Collapse

I can't remember the names of the CG's, but the one in Salem, SD and the one south of I-90 in Mitchell (Dakota CG?) were pleasant stops.......BTW: Niobrara State Park in NE Nebraska is a real gem.

Dave H----