Campgrounds in Michigan

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mike50, Aug 17, 2004.

1. mike50

mike50
    Expand Collapse

Hi. I am a novice when it comes to rv campgrounds. I just bought an rv and am planning on going on a trip on Labor Day Weekend. I am leaning towards going to Michigan over Wisconsin after reading many of the reviews on this website. I am looking at many campgrounds near or on Lake Michigan becuase of the views, secenery, and rafting opportunities. I have been looking at places like Holland, Ludington, or Grand Rapids areas. If anyone has some suggestions or advice please let me know.

2. pixie-chick

pixie-chick
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike,

We are from Michigan and boy! do we miss the camping there. Check out the website for Ludington State Park. It has been awhile since we have been there, hence I don't remember a lot of details other than it is gorgeous. I hear Grand Haven State park is well known for its huge beach, but we never went as reservations were required way in advance.

Before we moved away we had a book unlike anything I have been able to find since. It was a very detailed guide to the best Mighigan campgrounds. It even went so far as to sometimes give specifics about the best ( largest, most remote or most wooded) sites or areas at the campgrounds. It was very helpful and accurate.

If my recollection serves me right I believe it was something like thest best public campgrounds in Michigan by Jim Dufresne. Check it out, it might be useful to you.

Enjoy Michigan you lucky dog! And bring Deet or some other noxious substance because as you get far north, particularly the U.P., the black flies can be ferocious!

3. jimisham

jimisham
    Expand Collapse

If you're interested in a state park over Labor Day weekend, I'm sure they're all full. Reservations over holiday weekends need to be made 6 months in advance. You may be able to find something in a private campground. It should be a lot easier after Labor Day.
    Here is a link to their web site http://midnrreservations.com/. You might get lucky. They may post on the web site, the percentage of campsites at each park that are reserved. They did this over the 4th of July. Most of them will be 100%.
    i just did a search on Google for that book pixie-chick refers to and came up with several hits. Looks like he's written several books about camping and hiking in Michigan.

4. AAFD

AAFD
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mike50 @ Aug 17 2004, 04:35 PM)
    Hi. I am a novice when it comes to rv campgrounds. I just bought an rv and am planning on going on a trip on Labor Day Weekend. I am leaning towards going to Michigan over Wisconsin after reading many of the reviews on this website. I am looking at many campgrounds near or on Lake Michigan becuase of the views, secenery, and rafting opportunities. I have been looking at places like Holland, Ludington, or Grand Rapids areas. If anyone has some suggestions or advice please let me know.

There are two very nice full hookup campground in Ludington, Vacation Station and Ponchos Pond both are very nice, we stayed at Vacation Station and drove through Ponchos, either would be a good choice!

Also there is a nice full hookup CG in Holland, Oak Grove, we stayed there in May very nice as well!

KC

5. sheilap

sheilap
    Expand Collapse

Check out the Jellystone at Silver Lake in Mears. We love to stay there - clean restrooms, awesome location, family friendly (GREAT for kids). There is lots to do in the Silver Lake area like dune rides, hiking, fishing, etc..., and there are several little towns nearby that are a beautiful drive (especially Pentwater).

I can personally vouch for Oak Grove in Holland, since we live about 5 miles away. I've never stayed there myself but have friends who have, and they loved it. I can tell you that it is a very clean and welcoming place. Holland is a great little town.

Poncho's Pond is next on our list after Labor Day (we'll be at the KOA in Traverse City), and I've heard really good things about the KOA in Petoskey.

We're not big on camping at State Parks, so I can't help you out there.

6. troll3193

troll3193
    Expand Collapse

Lots of good parks in western MI, problem could be getting in on labor day.

For private CGs, I would consider Grand Haven Jellystone. Silvercreek RV park is near Mears is nice as well http://www.silverlakesanddunes.net/silvercreek/

For state parks, PJ Hoffmaster is great, as well as Muskegon State park (beach side, not the channel side).

Others that have been mentioned already are great as well.

Bryan

7. Nipit

Nipit
    Expand Collapse