Campgrounds In The Lancaster, PA area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Butch, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Have read the reviews in the Lancaster PA area of the campgrounds, but can always try to obtain more information. Have been looking at this area for two seasons now, but have not had the opportunity nor the time to make the trip. We would like to have a long pull through site, w/full hookup & 50 amp service. If you have stayed in this area, please share any info or experiences, good or bad. Thank you.

safe travels,
    enjoy your day,

Butch

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Butch:

Our own personal preference is the Lake in the Woods Campground in Bowmansville--close enough to all the attractions but far enough away to enjoy the open spaces. Very nice, quality campground but, if you have a big rig, you will want to stay in the 113 section or the 114 section. These are new and are designed for big rigs. On the other hand, you should avoid the Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse, PA. (honest, that's the name). I am convinced there is not a level spot in this campground and I have watched people spend hours trying to get level, using jacks, boards, and everything else (even the TL Directory--a good use after all), but to no avail.

3. nala0016

nala0016
    Expand Collapse

Spring Gulch in New Holland just off 897, I feel is one of the best in the area due to the large wooded sites. Not sure if they have pull through sites in the lower area, but those sites are smaller. Up the hill, in the 1500 area , the sites are level, spacious and make for an easy back in. The sites up there are very wooded and separated by trees. Its a close ride to Shady maple restaurant and farm market and if you continue 897 you will run into rt 340. The place is so clean and the workers are very accomodating. We looked at other campgrounds in the lancaster area, but my pet peeve is that I like a large site shaded with trees. We found oak creek and sun valleys sites to be very close together and lake in wood was not only out of the way, but there seem to be too many rules to follow, the roads were narrow and i did not care for the sites.The place and staff seemed "cold". We originally found Spring Gulch and decided to try it based on the reviews here. Good luck.

4. Kevin

Kevin
    Expand Collapse

Butch,
    I was just down in PA in Oct. and stayed at Beacon Hill.
    It IS tricky to get into with a fairly large rig and I did have a little work to get
    level, but it's all part of the game, I figure.
    There's really nothing to do at the campground so kids are going to be bored.
    As a matter of fact, kids under 16 can't stay.
    On the plus side, the owners are very nice and the place is clean.
    You're close to all the attractions and the price is right.
    I'm planning to go back again next year and will stay longer this time.
    Where ever you end up staying, though, the area is a blast and you will find
    many things to do whatever your interests are.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

I want to say, "thank you" to Beastdriver, nala0016, and Kevin for answering my inquiry about the Lancaster, Pa area. The best information about an area, is from those who have experienced that area. Thanks again.