Camping at Lake Mead while visiting Vegas?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CDB, Aug 28, 2004.

1. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a trip to Las Vegas next summer and are looking into the idea of staying at a state campground at Lake Mead, as opposed to one of the numerous RV parks in town. Possibly a more relaxed atmosphere there.

We'd be taking a number of side trips while there, such as the Hoover Dam, so staying outside of town doesn't seem like it would be that inconvenient.

Has anyone stayed at Lake Mead, or at least visited one of the campgrounds so they can give some comments? I would guess they don't have full hook-ups but electric only would be okay for us.

Thanks,
    Christopher

2. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

I have not stayed on the lake, but because of the drought conditions the water has receded far from the campground. The only other comment I could give is that it would be a 45 minute or so drive to the strip area if you plan on visiting that often. You might not prefer that drive late when there is an increase of impaired partiers on the road. The drive over Railroad pass at night is a stunner though, as the lights of Vegas unfold before you.

If the lake and it's environs are more important to you than you might be ok there.
    I'm actually not sure if it has hookups or not. Without electricity the triple digit heat of Vegas in the summer would be unbearable. There may be a review on here somewhere already.