Camping At Yellowstone

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Meyer Camping, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

We are in the planning stages of our summer trip and this year the destination is Yellowstone. When we were there last, we stayed at Fishing Bridge campground right in the park. This year we found out that for some reason the electricity is no longer an option. This brings up a problem. Yellowstone is such a big park that you spend a great deal of time getting from one place to another. This made Fishing Bridge a great option since it is near the center of the park. Without electricity it is NOT an option. No A/C, no microwave = no wife. So, all this leads up to the question for which I am requesting the collective wisdom of this group. Where should we stay and why?
    We have a 31' travel trailer with 2 slides and no pets. We are planning to be there the end of July to the beginning of August. Our main interest is the park itself, not the surrounding area. We will be entering the park from the East.
    Thanks for your input.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I know the A/C was in rework but you would think that was completed by now. Fishing Bridge was the only place that had power last time we were in park. On east side couple of very small parks west of Cody and in city of Cody. This would be a pain in the neck to drive up the hill each day. We used Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone MT 1/4 mile outside of the Nat. park gate. We find it less trouble and driving into park you see a lot of (wild life) each day and some animals as well. West Yellowstone has everything you can think of like places to eat out, place to buy food, drinks, everything we need to live well. We do not pay to get into Nat. parks but keep in mind you may need to pay or buy a pass. Yellowstone is a large place but we had no problems and did tours of everything in park. Have fun! :)

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I agree with John about West Yellowstone. Grizzly is the best park in town but there are a few others and some of them are a bit cheaper. Check the reviews of parks in W. Yellowstone. I think there are two good reasons for staying in West Y: It is as close, if not closer to most of the "big" destinations (Old Faithful and Yellowstone Canyon/Falls/Lake) sights in Yellowstone than any of the other surrounding towns (see the following) and, unlike coming from the north (Gardiner), northeast (Cooke City) or the East (Cody) you don't have as many steep climbs on the road.

As John noted, Cody and its' RV Parks are just too far away. Since you are coming from the east, I would suggest spending the night before coming to YNP at one of the parks in or near Cody. That makes your last day travelling to the park much easier and allows you to see something along the way before getting to your RV park in West Yellowstone.

Since I may not be visiting YNP this year (after 3 visits in the past 4 years), enjoy the park for me.

4. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Mar 7 2011, 12:12 AM) [snapback]25583[/snapback]

I agree with John about West Yellowstone. Grizzly is the best park in town but there are a few others and some of them are a bit cheaper. Check the reviews of parks in W. Yellowstone. I think there are two good reasons for staying in West Y: It is as close, if not closer to most of the "big" destinations (Old Faithful and Yellowstone Canyon/Falls/Lake) sights in Yellowstone than any of the other surrounding towns (see the following) and, unlike coming from the north (Gardiner), northeast (Cooke City) or the East (Cody) you don't have as many steep climbs on the road.

As John noted, Cody and its' RV Parks are just too far away. Since you are coming from the east, I would suggest spending the night before coming to YNP at one of the parks in or near Cody. That makes your last day travelling to the park much easier and allows you to see something along the way before getting to your RV park in West Yellowstone.

Since I may not be visiting YNP this year (after 3 visits in the past 4 years), enjoy the park for me.

we were there 10 days thru the july 4th weekend at flagg ranch just two miles south of yellowstone entrance . it was okay just a little dusty but we managed all 5 entrances .

we were there 10 days thru the july 4th weekend at flagg ranch just two miles south of yellowstone entrance . it was okay just a little dusty but we managed all 5 entrances . this year in august we are planning south dekota for 10 days.