camping in DC area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by skippy, Oct 14, 2003.

1. skippy

skippy
    Expand Collapse

Am looking for information/experiences any have had camping in the DC area??? We are taking a trip to the East coast next spring and need input. Cherryhill in College Park is OUT. Does anybody have any experience with any of the state parks in the area? We are in a Coleman PU by the way. :D

2. vjm1639

vjm1639
    Expand Collapse

Hi Skippy...Yep, I'd have to agree with you on Cherrystone! LOL...way too commercial for our taste! We live in the Northern Virginia area and one of the best places, I think...especially if you want to do any visiting to DC, is Pohick Bay Regional Park. Pohick Bay Check their website. It's a nice, wooded park. Has electric hookups but not water or sewer although there is a place to fill your Coleman water tank when you first come into the park. You can reserve sites here too. I have other pictures of the park that we've taken while visiting if you'd like to see them. I can answer any other questions about it you may have too.

Hope this helps!

3. Guest_vjm1639

Guest_vjm1639
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah...totally forgot to add; This park is just a few miles from the Springfield Metro Line. That sure makes getting around in DC much nicer. You can buy a pass and ride all day for something like $5.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

You can also stay at the campground at Bull Run in Centreville. It is part of the Northern Virginia Parks Authority and it is close to the Vienna Metro. IF there are of you in the car you can use the carpool lanes and get to the metro very easy. It is close to the battlground for the first battle of the CIvicl War too.

5. Sang

Sang
    Expand Collapse

Try:

Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville
    Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton
    Prince William Travel Trailer Village near Dumfries.

All of those parks are wonderful.

San.
    Fairfax, VA

6. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

I know you posted this a while back, but I was wondering why you said you'd not go to Cherry Hill in College Park, MD? We have reservations there coming up in August 2009 and from their website and reviews I've read, it seems like an awesome CG to us. Of course we do like amenities and so do our kids.

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Greenbelt National Park a few years ago. It is in College Park Maryland and close to the metro.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(nicki @ Jul 24 2009, 09:00 AM) [snapback]17719[/snapback]

I know you posted this a while back, but I was wondering why you said you'd not go to Cherry Hill in College Park, MD? We have reservations there coming up in August 2009 and from their website and reviews I've read, it seems like an awesome CG to us. Of course we do like amenities and so do our kids.

I'm not the OP, and this is just a guess, but people who like to camp in the "great outdoors" will probably not like Cherry Hill. Some areas of Cherry Hill have trees, others don't. I would definitely not call it a parking lot, but it is more on the RV park side rather than a campground. It has a great pool, small cafe, and big laundry room. We don't travel with kids so I didn't really make note of things for them, but I think I saw a playground. Some reviewers have complained about the highway noise, and it is in a busy, huge traffic area, but I never noticed it. If you plan to go into DC this is without a doubt the most convenient place to stay.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at a Wal-Mart in Port Royal which is a huge 500 store shopping area about an hour South of Washington. It would work for a while. We stayed at Cherrystone for 4 days of sightseeing in Washington.

10. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 24 2009, 08:45 AM) [snapback]17723[/snapback]

I'm not the OP, and this is just a guess, but people who like to camp in the "great outdoors" will probably not like Cherry Hill. Some areas of Cherry Hill have trees, others don't. I would definitely not call it a parking lot, but it is more on the RV park side rather than a campground. It has a great pool, small cafe, and big laundry room. We don't travel with kids so I didn't really make note of things for them, but I think I saw a playground. Some reviewers have complained about the highway noise, and it is in a busy, huge traffic area, but I never noticed it. If you plan to go into DC this is without a doubt the most convenient place to stay.

THere is nothing wrong with Cherry Hill. Foretravel uses it for it Motorcades and it is a fine park. You might get some road noise true. I prefer Bull Run but that is my preference and it is half the price and it is easy to get to the metro. I also would drive into the city and park early bird rates and have my car there to leave. You can use HOV to drive in or to a metro. But if you have reservations at CHerry Hill it is a fine place to stay.

11. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

We've stayed at Cherry Hill once and would stay there again. Not a camping experience agreed. More like a residential subdivision of RV sites. Even though you will be staying elsewhere, I suggest that while you are in the area you stop at Cherry Hill and do a drive-thru to see the place for yourself, just for future reference.

Christopher

12. hitchup

hitchup
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Cherry Hill for nearly 4 mos in 2007. I don't think there's a better RVP in the area. We tried Duncan's in Lothian first and left after 2 nites. Being in a popup isn't a problem since we saw tents while we were there.

They have 2 great pools as well as RV supplies and the easiest access into DC. What a time saver to have the bus pick up inside the park. Fairly easy on, easy off to Interstate, too.