Camping In The Dunes

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Enrique, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Enrique

Enrique
    Expand Collapse

I am doing the arrangements for my first RV trip. We are travelling from Spain. We are renting an RV to travel through the Coast of California. It seems like I have waited too long before making reservations, and now I am not able to get a spot in most RV Parks.

I read somewhere that you can park at the dunes in some beaches. I am considering this option for Fridays and Saturdays, which are the busiest days. I would go to full hook-up places on Thursdays and Sundays.

Question #1: Is there a listing of beaches where you can park? Can you park on beaches at all? I don’t think you can do that in Spain.

Question #2: Is it easy to get first come first served slots on Friday if you stay on the campground on Thursday? I would think so?

Thank you very much.

2. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Enrique @ Jun 10 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]11776[/snapback]

I am doing the arrangements for my first RV trip. We are travelling from Spain. We are renting an RV to travel through the Coast of California. It seems like I have waited too long before making reservations, and now I am not able to get a spot in most RV Parks.

I read somewhere that you can park at the dunes in some beaches. I am considering this option for Fridays and Saturdays, which are the busiest days. I would go to full hook-up places on Thursdays and Sundays.

Question #1: Is there a listing of beaches where you can park? Can you park on beaches at all? I don’t think you can do that in Spain.

Question #2: Is it easy to get first come first served slots on Friday if you stay on the campground on Thursday? I would think so?

Thank you very much.

The only place in Ca I can speak of is Pismo Beach. You can camp on the beach but I"m not sure you can get a rental Rv out there. Are you renting an RV or is there someone here that you are going with. It can be a little tricky getting out there. Most units are 4wd trucks pulling toy haulers. Friday and Saturday during the summer is packed. Hope your trip goes well.

As always, Just my opinion,

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Enrique and welcome to the US ! B)
    Rodman is correct. Pismo Beach is the only California beach one can drive or camp on.
    FYI: you may "see" the exceptions as you drive the California coast...these are generally military bases which are strictly off-limits for civilians.
    Many popular California State Parks have basic (elec only) campgrounds and overflow 'dry-camp' parking to accomodate the heavy weekend use.

Use this site to find Private (full hook-up) campgrounds/RV resorts which you could use on weekends: avoid crowds, do laundry, empty tanks and refill with fresh water. Week-day touring of State and Federal parks is so much nicer (avoids crowds).

Enjoy California!
    Cheers B)

4. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

Calif like Florida is a hard place to do a lot of things any time of year and expensive to boot. If you can get into an rv park I am sure you can stay into the weekend in most cases. Good luck to you.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I got a better idea. Instead of trying to camp on the California dunes, why don't you try the Washington State dunes?

Anderson's RV Resort in Long Beach, WA (Yes, there is a LONG BEACH in WA, as well as in CA) is right on the dunes! However, in summer, you will need reservations.

Or, if you go to Manzanita, OR, Nehalem State Park is right on the dunes of the Oregon beach.

JJ

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 10 2008, 04:46 PM) [snapback]11787[/snapback]

I got a better idea.
    Anderson's RV Resort in Long Beach, WA ...
    Or...Manzanita, Nehalem State Park is right on the dunes of the Oregon beach.
    JJ

Hmmmm, JJ: this sounds nice for a couple So Californians trying to get out of the way of the thundering herds down here...

Think the fuel prices will curb some of the traffic this year?
    :lol:

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jun 10 2008, 08:32 PM) [snapback]11798[/snapback]

Think the fuel prices will curb some of the traffic this year?
    :lol:

I'm hoping Good Sam will have problems filling up their travel packages and will reduce them down!!!!! Yeah, right, when pigs fly.......

JJ

8. Enrique

Enrique
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your responses.

I found the Oceano Dunes SVRA campground. On their web page they recommend 4x4 to access the site. I am renting a Class A vehicle, so I guess it doesn’t qualify. I guess I will make reservations here and use them only if I can’t find an alternative.

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Enrique @ Jun 11 2008, 02:56 AM) [snapback]11802[/snapback]

Thank you all for your responses.

I found the Oceano Dunes SVRA campground. On their web page they recommend 4x4 to access the site. I am renting a Class A vehicle, so I guess it doesn’t qualify. I guess I will make reservations here and use them only if I can’t find an alternative.

That is really not a bad place. They have sites that back up to the dunes. Of course the walk to the beach is pretty far, can be done but very hot. They also have horse rentals if I remember correct. We have stayed there and the sites don't have any shade. The one's at the top near the dunes are fairly hard to level. The owners helped us with providing additional blocks. Good Luck and have fun.

As always, just my opinion

10. Enrique

Enrique
    Expand Collapse

Thank you again rodman.

Onbe further questio. Is Oceano Dunes SVRA too much of a party place in the summer? It is not like I don't like parties, but I am travelling with two infants :).

11. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Enrique @ Jun 11 2008, 11:07 AM) [snapback]11804[/snapback]

Thank you again rodman.

Onbe further questio. Is Oceano Dunes SVRA too much of a party place in the summer? It is not like I don't like parties, but I am travelling with two infants :).

I'm sorry Enrique, I confused SVRA with another place in Oceano. I haven't been to the SVRA in many years and I don't want to give you any bad information. Pismo and Oceano are destination places for people with sand toys, so be prepared if you go. Also read the reviews they are spot on as far as getting stuck. No matter where you end up, you are going to have a good time. research, plan, ask many question's.

Always just my opinion,