Camping In Yellowstone, Wy

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by witherig, Jan 27, 2010.

1. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

ok, have reservations for yellowstone/teton for june of this year 2010.
    camping at flagg ranch.had reservations for fishing bridge but they called and
    cancelled seems they are upgrading the electrical so they will be closed this summer.
    we are traveling with 2 fur babies schnauzer and yorkie we are very responsible pet
    owners have harnesses and leads to keep them under our control.
    just curious if any has had a problem with the wild life and campers
    with pets and would it be safe to sit outside at night with us with a fire if weather permits.
    any information will greatley apperciated 1966 is the last time i was at yellowstone
    but that was 44 years ago UGH!!!!

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Witherig:

Other folks may be able to give you more specific information, but I just want to give you some general thoughts. I would check with any park/campgound in the area you wish to stay at concerning "campfires". The recent history of wild fires in the Yellowstone area has resulted in severe "fire" restrictions in many RV parks and campgrounds. YNP itself is still heavily scarred from the fires of the past 20 years. As for your pets, I don't think you will have too much problem with the pets being accepted where you camp but there may be restrictions as to having them on trails and/or overlooks in YNP. Again, check with Yellowtone NP concerning pets.

For better or worse, the Yellowstone of today is not the one you remember. While still spectacular, it can be crowded with lots of rules that many people don't understand but are necessary for many reasons. So don't be upset because you can't have a fire or take your pets everywhere.

June should be a great time to visit as long as the roads are completely open for the summer season. We have had previous threads in this forum about how there can still be snow in YNP in June. You may want to take a look at those threads - one was fairly recent. Plus, June won't be as crowded as July and August.

Enjoy.

3. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 29 2010, 12:59 AM) [snapback]20781[/snapback]

Witherig:

Other folks may be able to give you more specific information, but I just want to give you some general thoughts. I would check with any park/campgound in the area you wish to stay at concerning "campfires". The recent history of wild fires in the Yellowstone area has resulted in severe "fire" restrictions in many RV parks and campgrounds. YNP itself is still heavily scarred from the fires of the past 20 years. As for your pets, I don't think you will have too much problem with the pets being accepted where you camp but there may be restrictions as to having them on trails and/or overlooks in YNP. Again, check with Yellowtone NP concerning pets.

For better or worse, the Yellowstone of today is not the one you remember. While still spectacular, it can be crowded with lots of rules that many people don't understand but are necessary for many reasons. So don't be upset because you can't have a fire or take your pets everywhere.

June should be a great time to visit as long as the roads are completely open for the summer season. We have had previous threads in this forum about how there can still be snow in YNP in June. You may want to take a look at those threads - one was fairly recent. Plus, June won't be as crowded as July and August.

Enjoy.

thanks for the information i wanted to ask if any one may of had problems with the wildlife and their pets we want to protect them as well. i have researched alot about the pet rules and we do respect them. and would not take them if it isnt'permitted .would like to hear from any one about any experiences with pets on vacation in yellowstone. thanks

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Witherig and welcome!
    Jerry is correct. Yellowstone has changed over the years. Partially to accommodate the volume of folks that visit, and partially out of respect for fires and volcanic activity. It is worth the experience. You most likely will have to save the campfire experience for another campground as you travel to, or back home.

We always chose the off-seasons to visit popular parks, specifically to avoid crowds. Visited Yellowstone five years ago in mid-May and were rewarded with a fabulous overnight snow while camping at Fishing Bridge. At the time we had a middle-aged rotty traveling with us. She was silent, and preferred avoiding crowds too. Perfectly content to sleep on the couch while we went on short hiking, sightseeing, photo excursions on foot.

The campground rangers kept us informed of bear activity so we could walk with her without issues in the early mornings just around the campground. I would not recommend taking a dog on the trails. There are buffalo, elk, moose at Yellowstone. They are not fenced-in, nor domesticated. I don't know about your dog: but ours was absolutely facinated with such unfamiliar smells and critters. No way did I wish to create an incident: dog vs miffed buffalo!

Buffalo will put up with us taking pictures...but an excited barking dog...not so much.

I am curious, so please don't forget to log on and let us know your perceptions of Yellowstone after so many years.
    Cheers! B)