CampRate.com

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by KenC, Jul 6, 2005.

1. KenC

KenC
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone,

I would just like to say that I am a big fan of the site, keep up the good work.

I did some web surfing over the 4th of july weekend, and I came across what looks to be a new website called CampRate.com. It doesn't have much information yet, but it looks promising. It looks like it only has information for the state of Maine, but they say they will add other states in the future.

Just an FYI, in case you are heading to Maine and haven't seen it yet..

Have a nice Day.

Ken

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Ken,

The site is a start and will need a lot of work to get up to speed. This site would run rings around any web site that I have found to date. TL book is a good place to start and them check it out here to see what other people have to say about the campground. Thanks for the tip.

3. KenC

KenC
    Expand Collapse

John thanks for the help..

Call me ignorant, but what is the TL Book?

Thanks,
    ken

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Hi Ken - I am sure that John is referring to Trailer Life - they have a directory of campgrounds. I bought it for my husband as well as Woodall's but I find that review sites such as this are much more helpful. The parks pay to be listed in the directory and I am not sure about how accurate the ratinfs really are.

Happy travels...

5. TentingTimesTwo

TentingTimesTwo
    Expand Collapse

Another useful resource, and one I have found to be both more independent (e.g., accepts no ads) and more useful than either Trailer Life or the Woodall's Directory, is Frommer's Best RV and Tent Campgrounds in the USA.

6. KenC

KenC
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Jul 6 2005, 11:01 PM)
    Hi Ken - I am sure that John is referring to Trailer Life - they have a directory of campgrounds. I bought it for my husband as well as Woodall's but I find that review sites such as this are much more helpful. The parks pay to be listed in the directory and I am not sure about how accurate the ratinfs really are.

Happy travels...

Cheryl,

Thanks for the information, I will check out trailer life next time I am about to go camping.

You got me thinking when you said that campgrounds pay to be listed in those directories and I looked around, and you are right about that for some of them. But there are a few that list everyone reguardless of wheather they pay or not.. On the site that I mentioned before, I found the following info in the FAQ section on their help page (http://camprate.com/help.do)

CODE

Q. How much does it cost to get listed in your directory?
    A. Unlike most online campground directories we do not charge anything for getting listed in our directory.

So it looks like not all of the directories are paid listings, but it will teach me to keep my eye open in the future. You can't always believe what you see.

Thanks again.
    Ken

7. KenC

KenC
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Larry @ Jul 7 2005, 09:38 AM)
    Another useful resource, and one I have found to be both more independent (e.g., accepts no ads) and more useful than either Trailer Life or the Woodall's Directory, is Frommer's Best RV and Tent Campgrounds in the USA.
    [snapback]2306[/snapback]

Larry,

I took your advice and I checked out Frommers and I liked what I saw, so much I just ordered a copy from Amazon, it should be in sometime next week. I'll let you know how I like it..

Thanks for the recommendation,

Ken

8. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

It is not true that the campgrounds pay to be listed in the campground directories. They do pay for any advertisment that they have and they also have to pay a fee to join the Good Sam club for that part of a listing in the Trailer Live Campground Guide. None the less, the Trailer Life guide is the best of the bunch. If you are a member of Good Sam, only the Trailer Life guide has an indication of which parks give the GS 10% discount. They also have the best directions to the parks of any of the guides. We have found that there are some parks listed in any of the directories that are not listed in others.

9. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

This site looks great - except that I've never been to Maine. . . . . :huh:

10. KenC

KenC
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(denbroncs @ Sep 7 2005, 12:03 PM)
    This site looks great - except that I've never been to Maine. . . . . :huh:
    [snapback]2670[/snapback]

Maine is nice 3 out of the 4 seasons. Spring, Summer and Fall. With Summer and Fall being the best time to visit. Winter is OK, as long as you don't mind being cold. I guess if you like to ski or snowmobile it isn't too bad. But not as nice as the rest of the seasons.

The site says it is "expanding to other states shortly" Not sure, when shortly is, but hopefully in time for next spring :) I'll keep checking back to see what they got.

Ken