Camprground recommendations

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by madiswaysc, Jan 14, 2005.

1. madiswaysc

madiswaysc
    Expand Collapse

We are in the planning stages of our yearly long (10 days) vacation with 7 other couples and have decided to stay in the Lake Lure area this year. Would really appreciate any recommendations for CG's in this area. We have brochures on several but would really like 1st hand info. Thanks in advance for any help. Anne

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Anne,

We have not spend time in Lake Lure but I did look at write up's on this site for Lake Lure RV Park/Campground & River Creek Campground. I see that "Lake Lure" is not to good & the other campground had one write up. You can also read write up in Trailer Life and I noted rating are about the same. On the other sites in your note, please look them up on this site also to see how other RV people rated them.

3. madiswaysc

madiswaysc
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, we have looked at them, but are having a tough time finding anything in the area that looks decent. We have found one called Hickory Nut Falls CG, but can't find any real info about it. They are not answering their phone, probably because they don't open until April. Will keep trying. Thanks again for your help. Anne

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Not on lake Lure but in the ashville area and about 20 mins from lake lure is Mamas Gerties. We love it and it is an adult oriented park with mostly pull thrus.

Just a suggestion. It is in swananoa NC

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

If you are driving a motorhome, then the most outstanding place to stay in the mountain area is about 20 miles from Asheville--the Outdoor Resorts of America location at Lake Toxaway. They have restrictions on the type of units they will accept, but this is a first class place in every respect and I would encourage you to investigate it. You will pay a bit more but, believe me, it is well worth it. :rolleyes:

6. madiswaysc

madiswaysc
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, but as I said in my post there are 7 couples, we have 3 motorhomes, 2 5er's, 1 tt and 1 popup, granted all are new within the last 3 years, including the popup (a coleman niagara elite), but sounds like they would have restrictions on some of these units. However, we will look into Mama Gertie's. We usually go to the N Ga Mtns or E. TN Smokies, we have stayed at Moonshine Creek in Balsam a couple of times and we do like it, but every year a couple gets to pick the area they want to go and this year they wanted to go to Lake Lure. Guess we'll just have to make the best of it and hope we find a good CG to stay in. Anne