Can't Breathe From Smoke Of "camp Fires"

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bryantree, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bryantree

bryantree
    Expand Collapse

I left FL when the wild fires were smoking people out of their houses and people complaining about the smoke only to find people in campgrounds were acting like pyromaniacs in campgrounds burning everything they could like stupid kids smoking up the fresh air I go camping for. What a shame people can't see that they are ruining the real camping experience of enjoying natures fresh air and the woods, plants and critters instead of destroying it.

2. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

While I can appreciate your position and desire to enjoy mother earth's fresh air, I can't completely agree with your sentiment. Campfires have been a staple of the camping and RV experience since..... well.....forever.

While DW and I seldom light a campfire, I don't begrudge those that do with safety and the welfare of those around taken into consideration. Sometimes, a campfire is just not appropriate..... sometimes it's a natural part of the experience.

For the poster, please be patient with those that enjoy the campfire experience. For the 'fire-starters' :))) please be aware of those around you and their comfort too.

Best I can do,
    :)

3. Starcraft Dad

Starcraft Dad
    Expand Collapse

Having evening campfires are part of the camping experience. We ususally have our campfires only in the evening unless we are cooking on it or it is an unusually cool day. If you can't make your smores then what is the fun in camping. You don't have to have a huge bon fire to enjoy a campfire. Unfortunately, some people need a blast furnace instead of a campfire.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have never had a camp fire and never will. We have been to some state parks that you could not see due to all the smoke. If we need a fire to look at I will go joint the fireman and get all the free smoke we need. Also fire wood is the best way to carry bugs from one state to the next. Number of state parks ban all fire wood from outside the park.

5. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

We've only had the misfortune to park in one campground (Spring Valley RV, Cambridge, Ohio) where we had fire-starters parked right next to us. It was disgusting. We couldn't keep our windows open even though it was a cool night thanks to the enormous amount of smoke coming into our windows. We couldn't get out of there fast enough and we'd never go there again.

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

For some previous discussions on this topic, see the "Light My Fire" string on page 3 of this forum.

7. Scott and Kathy

Scott and Kathy
    Expand Collapse

I have a difficult time breathing when there are camfires. Still I would never presume to suggest that other campers should not be allowed to enjoy this historical "outdoor" experience. If you want to stay out of the smoke get a hotel.

8. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

A campfire is to camping what a marshmallow is to a smore - oh wait, you can't have a smore without a campfire. ;)

9. Glynn

Glynn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(denbroncs @ Jul 31 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]7856[/snapback]

A campfire is to camping what a marshmallow is to a smore - oh wait, you can't have a smore without a campfire. ;)

First post in what is clearly an interesting forum. I'm a long time camper and fortunately in our campground, and any other I've frequented, campfires were a common and welcome experience. There is perhaps no better spot to join in with neighbours and enjoy the warm glow of a nice campfile. Of course I camp in Canada where a warm glow is perhaps more appreciated in our somewhat cool evenings.

Anyway, I'm sorry that some of you do not enjoy campfires and even worse are disgusted by them. They are part of camping though, and always have been. I do hope you find a camping area where you can enjoy yourselves.l

10. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

We just came back from a 1300 mile trip around the Gaspé Peninsula in Québec. (My campground reviews should be ready soon) We got a campsite in Forillion National Park in a no fire section. I have to admit that I liked this very much. When we went camping with the kids we had the occasional campfire and enjoyed it, but now that the campground upwind from our home has grown from 160 sites to 614, we get all the bad things connected to fires. On hot, humid days smoke does not lift and comes right into our bedroom, too many people burn trash, too many people use petroleum based firestarters, it simply is no fun and this has turned us off from campfires altogether. Once you start looking into it you will find out that campfires are a major source of pollution due to the fact that the combustion temperature is a lot lower than in a woodstove for example. One or two fires are not a big problem, but several hundred in a small area are reason for concern.

11. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

If campfires are very disturbing to you or your health, then rv parks should be chosen over campgrounds.

We don't do campfires often but have here and there. It is with chagrin that I admit to driving everyone crazy one time near Glacier park. The wood apparently wasn't very dry and the air held the smoke close to the ground. I would have been very irritated if I'd been camped next to me. I watched helplessly as the smoke layered over everyone down wind of me. Of course trying to put the fire out resulted in yet more smoke that just seemed to hang there forever.

It's a day late and a dollar short but again I am sorry for our great smoke out.

12. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Hate campfires. Hate the smoke in my trailer. But we do have to stay at places that sometimes have them. I just close up and run the A/C at a lower temp.

13. James & Carol

James & Carol
    Expand Collapse

I love to sit around a campfire if is made with dry wood, no trash, and no roaring bond fire:
    Howeaver I will not transport my dry wood due to the spread of insects, Most wood that you buy at campsites is green and smokes, is hard to light without fire starters and paper, when it is time to go to bed someone has to make sure it is out and not a danger to your property or others......>>>> After saying all of this I purchased a propane camp fire that gives me all of the good things that I like about a campfire without the bad.

14. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but being a pyromaniac, I must have a campfire at least one night out of my stay.

The smell of a good campfire reminds me of my youth, when I would camp with my parents, and still found time to camp with the Boy Scouts and later as a scout leader.

These days, I am raising a family, my kids look forward to a campfire, burning marshmallows beyond recognition, smearing them on a honey grahmcracker and a hunk of Hershey's milk chocolate bar.

Me sitting by the fire with my wife, she with a mug of hot chocolate and me with a snifter of cherry brandy or Maker's Mark.

As for your fear of bugs, I suggest that you visit a Sam's Club and buy a club pack of fire logs. You know, the kind they sell to people that don't know which end of an axe is the pointed end.

For those that actually enjoy a good fire, God Bless you, and leave me to my fun.

depguy likes this.
  15. jer

jer
    Expand Collapse

People in campgrounds have many different reasons for being there. When my kids were small we were "campers" in a tent trailer - Now in our senior years and we are travelers in a travel trailer. No longer are campfires a priority or even that welcome, but then I'm just an "old fogie" now. I was in Williamsburg, VA campground recently, 90 degrees and humid, and a lady with two kids were camping nearby in a tent. They had a campfire going all day long and appeared to be enjoying it all immensely. They probably were from an urban no-burn area and this was a novel experience. My consolation was that I could go into my TT and turn on the air conditioner and television. Different strokes for different folks. One idea from a fellow camper is using packaged fire logs for your campfire. Easy to carry, burn clean, and last a couple hours - Sounds good to me.