Canyon Lake, Tx In Late March?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by fuego5, Dec 6, 2006.

1. fuego5

fuego5
    Expand Collapse

I've just joined this site & already I'm looking for some help! We will be going to Canyon Lake, TX in late March for a 9 day trip. We are torn between Yogi Bear Campground (formerly known as Maricopa?) for the kids choice or Potters Creek Park for a more scenic choice. Any experience with either one? Anything better? We're meeting several other families there & need to stay right in that area. Also, we finally decided to go from avid tent campers to owners of a new (for us!) 2005 Jayco Jayflight 27 BH. It's in winter storage here in cold Illinois, so the Texas trip will be our first with it. Judging by the hard time we had backing it into a storage area, we might need REALLY wide sites... Other considerations are we have 3 kids (6,9, & 12) and a miniature dachshund, so kid friendly & pet friendly a must. Thanks for any help.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Fuego5> I am a native Texan who lives about 2 hours from each campground. Both are nice and I've been to both. I prefer Potter's Creek. Here are the plus and minus.

+ Yogi has the 'kid' amenities. Outdoor sports facility and pool. Pool may not be open in March. Of course, there is the Jellystone hay ride. Full hook ups and they may have Wi-Fi by now. Closer to towns of any size. Best sites are those with trees.

- Cost twice as much as Potter's Creek ($18/night). Can get crowded. Sites not paved. One section (I think A is very tight).

+ Potter is a Corp of Engineer park with paved roads and sites. Sites are large with lotsa room between each. More outdoor atmosphere with wildlife. On the lake. Peaceful and quite. More 'adult'. A playground, but more for younger kids. Lotsa room for bicycle riding and exploring. Best sites are 79,87,69,83,86...in that order.

- No sewer. But, bathhouses are well maintained and dump easily navigated.

Potter doesn't have cable, but you can get tv signals from San Antonio and Austin. Satellite signals easy to get.

My cell service is Verizon and I have reception at both places. Don't know about others.

You'll be passing near New Braunfels, TX on the way to either. They have a Camping World along the interstate. Don't forget to get some German food and Texas BBQ (BEEF not pork!!)during your stay.

Have a good trip to the Lone Star State.

RLM

PS: Helpful hint on backing up. Pull past the site as closed to the pad side of the road as possible. As you back up, you will be able to see the left edge of the pad (driver's side). It will alot easier to manuver if you can see where you are maneuvering to. You'll also have more room to manuver the front of the tow vehicle when turning. Most problems occur when the driver pulls up to the site in the middle of the road. As the turn begins, he looses site of the edge of the pad and compounds the problem by making wider turns than necessary.

3. fuego5

fuego5
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, RLM, for the helpful info. I think we may end up choosing Potters Creek - sounds like a great place to camp. I appreciate the backing in tips...we'll need that for sure! Can't wait until March to escape to Texas and away from our dreary winter here!

4. Ann Olaf

Ann Olaf
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fuego5 @ Dec 12 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]5573[/snapback]

Thank you, RLM, for the helpful info. I think we may end up choosing Potters Creek - sounds like a great place to camp. I appreciate the backing in tips...we'll need that for sure! Can't wait until March to escape to Texas and away from our dreary winter here!

One other tip: if you have time, spend a few hours in Landa Park, in the middle of New Braunfels, TX. We love that little town, and the park is really a gem. The kids might get a kick out of seeing a river start from a spring at a rock wall, and then following its crystal clear waters through the park.
    Good luck on your first towing adventure.

Sincerely,
    AnnOlaf, Canadian guest in your great state of Texas :)

5. Happy_Trails

Happy_Trails
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fuego5 @ Dec 6 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]5569[/snapback]

I've just joined this site & already I'm looking for some help! We will be going to Canyon Lake, TX in late March for a 9 day trip. We are torn between Yogi Bear Campground (formerly known as Maricopa?) for the kids choice or Potters Creek Park for a more scenic choice. Any experience with either one? Anything better? We're meeting several other families there & need to stay right in that area. Also, we finally decided to go from avid tent campers to owners of a new (for us!) 2005 Jayco Jayflight 27 BH. It's in winter storage here in cold Illinois, so the Texas trip will be our first with it. Judging by the hard time we had backing it into a storage area, we might need REALLY wide sites... Other considerations are we have 3 kids (6,9, & 12) and a miniature dachshund, so kid friendly & pet friendly a must. Thanks for any help.

You might do what I did, teaching my wife to park the MH... buy some orange cones, and set them out on a large parking lot where there are few if any vehicles. Most slots to back into, are not less than 10 feet wide, so setting about that distance is good for practice. At first I set the cones about 15 feet apart, which made it easier. When she got smooth backing in, moved them a foot closer, then another foot closer. She finally got so she could back into a spot marked with cones only 1 foot wider than the MH.... B)

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you haven’t found it already here is a website for Potter’s Creek Park. It mentions a family area that might work well for your group of friends that you are meeting.

www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/canyon/PCpark.htm

I think you can make reservations through www.reserveamerica.com.

Late March could still be a little cool for water sports, but I’m pretty sure some of the marinas rent boats. A tour of the lake would be nice even if you didn’t get in it. Also there is Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels, but I’m not sure it would be open yet. And there’s always tubing on the Guadalupe River. As you can see this is a huge water sports area. Your trip may be just a little early to take full advantage of this, but there will be other activities. Check to see if Sea World and Fiesta Texas in San Antonio are open. I think they start to open around mid-March for spring break, but maybe just on weekends. Of course there’s always the Alamo. Up in Austin our Texas Capitol is a nice place to tour. Also near New Braunfels is Natural Bridge Caverns which also has a drive thru wildlife park.

Maybe this gives you some ideas of things to see and do. Hope you have fun.