Cathedral Palms RV Resort

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by EMC, Apr 4, 2004.

1. EMC

EMC
    Expand Collapse

I stayed here some of 2003 and 2004 in my RV and want to caution anyone who is considering staying here about a serious electrical problem. The park offers 30 AMP and 50 AMP service which sounds good. The problem is that this is an old park and was wired years ago. The voltage is so low (even on 50 AMP) that it can burn out the AC's, frig, microwave or other appliances. My site was showing 104 volts on both 30 and 50 AMPs. If you are foolish enough to stay at this place, then put your frig on gas and the same with the hot water heater. DON'T run your ACs without a Hughes Autoformer.

Yes, this is the cheapest place in the Palm Springs area, but it could be the most expensive if you have to buy some new electrical appliances.

There's lots of noise here being in the flight pattern of landing jets. Lots of street noise from passing traffic and from the machinery rental business on the south side of the park. If you need LP, you are out of luck because they don't sell any and it nearly impossible to get delivery within the park. This is a big inconvienence if you have to unhook your RV and go find some.

Their web page says "A Friendly Greeting Awaits You". Well, maybe it does, but that soons fades when dealing with the husband/wife managers. Ed's a drunk and Linda is meaner than a constipated rattlesnake. With the exception of an employee named Bob, the others don't have the IQ of an dirty ashtray.

Do yourself and your RV a favor and pass this place by.

2. Papahbear

Papahbear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(EMC @ Apr 4 2004, 07:43 PM) [snapback]548[/snapback]

Their web page says "A Friendly Greeting Awaits You". Well, maybe it does, but that soons fades when dealing with the husband/wife managers. Ed's a drunk and Linda is meaner than a constipated rattlesnake. With the exception of an employee named Bob, the others don't have the IQ of an dirty ashtray.

Do yourself and your RV a favor and pass this place by.

I've been reading reviews of this place because we stayed here about 2 years ago and had a horrible experience. I never bothered to write about it but after what I'm reading here and other places it is worth mentioning that this seems to be the norm for this place. I'd agree with this assessment.

we called earlier in the day to let them know we would be coming. We were within two blocks of the park and called because it was a half hour before their closing time. I wanted to make sure they didn't close up early since we were pushing it pretty close. I wasn't sure how long it would take to go two blocks in Palm Springs. As it was, it seemed unnessary to call because we arrived at a quarter to five. Thats when we learned the office staff had already locked the doors and left in spite of our having called only ten to fifteen minutes earlier to let them know where we were. I wasn't overly upset, just annoyed. The guy at the gate showed us to a temporary spot where we pulled in and began to set up. I noticed dogs all over the park roaming free. there were two dogs in our site, both with tags and collars and another dog a few sites away sniffing around. I thought that while I wouldn't let my dog roam free, he's an old coot and i could let him go pee by the rv while I watched. As I stood there I saw a golf cart come careening toward me. The guard jumped and screamed at me as if I'd just molested his wife. He was red in the face and I was utterly taken aback. Well of course I'd put my dog on the leash but I'd been standing only two feet from him and there were other dogs out. I'd gotten the wrong impression obviously and I shouldn't have broken the rules, but his over reaction was beyond the pale. I've never been screamed at like this anywhere we've stayed. A simple "put your dog on a leash" and a please would have been sufficient. Treating me as a two year old was unacceptable. As if that weren't enough, he then went to the door of our RV, banged hard on the door. When my partner answered he began to chew him out as well. I was utterly astonished at this behavior. A half hour later we decided we didn't want to stay here where there would be this kind of drama and would go somewhere more professionally run. We unhooked, drove to the gate and asked to be let out. My partner was fuming so I had a difficult time making him keep his mouth shut. I just wanted out. the guard made very rude and snide remarks to us. i didn't really even hear what he said. I knew I didn't want to hear them. My partner decided to try and take the high road and said "I'm sorry you dislike your job this much". it wasn't said in malice, more of an attempt to be understanding. Thats when the F bombs started flying. the guy F-you'd to us all the way down the driveway and out to the road. I felt as if we'd escaped an asylum. as we drove off he stood in the road screaming at us. It was the most bizarre and infuriating experience we've ever had anywhere before or since.

I had hoped this had been an isolated experience but from what I'm reading it isn't. we were thinking we would try this park again this year and that perhaps things had changed. I don't think its worth the stress now. if anyone else has experiences I'd like to hear them.

papabear

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Update on this information. This park is in Cathedral City, CA and was an old KOA years ago.

It helps if you spell out name of city and state so we all can find it. Thanks for the update.