Cb Radios

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by witherig, Mar 22, 2010.

1. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

okay a lot of my questions get overlooked but for curiosity
    how many of you travel with a CB Radios?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

4. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(witherig @ Mar 22 2010, 02:28 PM) [snapback]21371[/snapback]

okay a lot of my questions get overlooked but for curiosity
    how many of you travel with a CB Radios?

Yes it's there, and serviceable, but never use it. We use our walkie talkies when traveling with others.

6. DavyD

DavyD
    Expand Collapse

NO. I don't think they are as functional as they were 20 years ago.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We use channel 19 all the time to talk with truck drivers on interstate roads and on back roads less. The drivers know all the good information like bears checking speed, gators on the road (blown tires treads on the road), place to eat, refuel stops, kill each other over the radio, talk about the wife and kids back home, found some that were RV people as well, and other good information. Coming out of Dallas on I-35 north we were in contact with a driver for over a 100 miles. We went over all the oil changes, filters, lube jobs, tires, good places to eat on I-35 and his family at home. One out of GA was happy to have someone to talk with and he uploaded a lot of good information as well. Drivers have told me to watch out for the speed traps in MO couple times. We have talked to numbers of motorhome people driving on interstate. I find it to be one more tool in my tool box to use.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have one that came with the coach and find them very useful for traffic backup and information. That's the only time we turn it on. I also use it sometimes when we need fuel and are nearing a state line. Fuel can vary a lot from state to state and the CB is a great way to find out which state to fuel in.

9. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I like a few others still have it for road information. When traveling with a few people we found that the 2 way walkie talkies work well, to keep in touch, where as years ago we used the cb to do that.

10. tworootless

tworootless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dog bone @ Mar 24 2010, 10:58 AM) [snapback]21410[/snapback]

I like a few others still have it for road information. When traveling with a few people we found that the 2 way walkie talkies work well, to keep in touch, where as years ago we used the cb to do that.

I usually turn it on when I see traffic slowing. Other then then, who want's to hear %$#@^&(* and so forth... Not the way I was taught to use the CB in the 70's.

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

One came with the rig, but I also don't use it. Too many trucker potty mouths. Ham radio or FRS is my choice.

12. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tworootless @ Mar 24 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]21412[/snapback]

I usually turn it on when I see traffic slowing. Other then then, who want's to hear %$#@^&(* and so forth... Not the way I was taught to use the CB in the 70's.

What I meant, when I said keep in touch, was necessary conversation. I need fuel, stop here for lunch, I have problem or potty stop soon. I wasn't talking about a telephone conversation on the radio. I guess I wasn't clear.
    My partner and I used cb's when running the road with our trucks for those reasons. We didn't consider it %$#@^&(*. Just necessary to make the trip. I would rather listen to my 8 track anyway.

13. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

The Bounder came with a CB antenna, I do not know where the coax terminates under the dash.

The Airstream came with a CB, but I think that it was turned on ONCE - to see if it worked.

I have not used a CB radio since September 1977 when my ham radio license was issued.

14. BlueRidgeRunner

BlueRidgeRunner
    Expand Collapse

Use mine all the time if we convoy. If traveling alone we use it if traffic becomes a problem.